EASY MP4 to iPod Steps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by iWishfull, Mar 21, 2009.

1. iWishfull

iWishfull New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I downloaded some .MP4 files to put on my iPod Touch, but have no clue how to put it on. I've always gotten my songs off of iTunes but are there any simple instructions on how to add it to my iPod?

Thanks,
    Wishfull

P.S. Could someone also explain how to get YouTube videos onto my iPod in again, a simple way?
  2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1) Open iTunes
    2) Click File -> Add to Library
    3) Click "Movies", under "Library"
    4) Drag desired movies to iPod.

No conversion required if it's *.mp4.
  3. iWishfull

iWishfull New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah so it's under Library -> Movies
    But when I try to drag one over, it gives me the NO sign (circle with slash through it)
    Any help?
  4. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Or just drag the video into the iTunes sidebar on the left from Explorer.
  5. Jaczob

Jaczob New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If your iPod is jailbroken then you can download MxTube from Cydia. Otherwise, a site I use is vixy.net.
  6. Vee

Vee New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    or just use a mp4 converter, like vidora.
  7. dbieon12

dbieon12 New Member

Well I know that Youtube nows supports HQ video streaming.

And by using this method they are streaming .mp4 files directly, as opposed to the lower quality .flv. This means you can simply capture the stream of the file or download it directly.

You access the HQ video files by selecting the option in preferences, selecting the option on the specific video page, or by appending "&fmt=18" to the end of the video's URL.

. BEST OF ALL: NO CONVERSION REQUIRED.

I'll add another method that is VERY simple, in my opinion. Knowing that iPodtouch can play .mp4 files directly, you can use a script to aid you in downloading the video files.

Things you'll need:
    Mozilla Firefox (any version above 2.0 will work I believe)
    Greasemonkey (an addon that allows user created scripts)
    Youtube Enhancer (script that enhances Youtube)

Once you have successfully installed and enabled (some will require a Firefox restart) you can continue to the next step.

While in Firefox, open up the desired Youtube video you are looking for. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAyxW6WG1SM

Now this Youtube Enhancer should add "&fmt=18" to the end of the videos URL automatically, which is nice.

Please Register or Log in to view images

You should be able to see a download link above the title of the video you are watching.

It should ask you to download VIDEO_TITLE_HERE.mp4. If not click on the square image to the left of the download link and an option box will appear. Select the appropriate box (.mp4)

If you are familiar with Firefox, then you will recognize the download prompt that pops up after clicking on the download link. If not you will see this box that will ask you to download the video file:

Save it to wherever you wish. Rename the file to whatever you wish. And drag into iTunes. The video file is already compatible with your iPod and you should be able to drag directly to it from your Library.

Enjoy.
  8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    dbieon1 I know you're a Spammer. And your way is TERRIBLE.
  9. dbieon12

dbieon12 New Member

Why is that?

This is an alternative to other methods that doesn't require any conversion, online or local.

This is an alternative to MxTube which doesn't allow you to move the videos into the videoapp, as far as I know.

And it's pretty easy after the installation of the addons and scripts (which is easy itself).
  10. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Oh yah? No addons, No plugins, No conversion, Cross Platform, Cross Browser, Simple, One Click:

YouTube HD Videos: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20081125213451807

YouTube SD Videos: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/04/download-youtube-videos-as-mp4-files.html