Easiest jailbreak ever - no computer required! (For 1.1.1)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by planetbeing, Oct 28, 2007.

1. planetbeing

planetbeing New Member

NEW URL (courtesy of Google Code hosting): Either tinyurl.com/36dsyz or http://touchfree.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tiff/metasploit/exploit.tiff

Thanks to hdm of Metasploit, we are now armed with the knowledge of how to custom-craft our own exploit tiffs. His groundwork with reliable code execution has made better jailbreaks possible. He is especially to be admired for the pedagogical detail that allows everyone to have a better understanding of his techniques and the internals of the device.

Based upon his work, I have created a tiff that entirely jailbreaks the iPod, installs Installer.app and OpenSSH, along with an easy on/off program that lets you switch SSH/SFTP/SCP on or off for both security and battery saving purposes.

SummerBoard is no longer installed since the latest version from Installer.app works fine and requires no tinkering.

You do need a relatively stable wi-fi connection for this, since your iPod will be download a couple of megabytes of information.

So, there are now two steps, one of which is optional:

1. Restore and/or update your iPod/iPhone to a fresh copy of the 1.1.1 firmware. This is probably not necessary if you have not messed around with your iPod too much.
    2. In Safari on your iPod, visit tinyurl.com/36dsyz (an alias for http://touchfree.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tiff/metasploit/exploit.tiff)

Safari will crash after a moment. Nothing will appear to happen for about 30 seconds (so be patient). Then, the iPod will automatically restart and you will be jailbroken!

It's quite beautiful, in my opinion, because it's easy and platform-independent (doesn't matter if you're running Mac or PC).

This will probably be the simplest way.... until Apple fixes the TIFF security hole, so enjoy while you can.

I'll make the source code available to anyone who contacts me. It's pretty trivial to set up mirrors.

Oh, and P.S.: A shout-out and props to rezn who was the first to get something like this working. My implementation is entirely independent and is neater (since it uses HTTP instead of requiring raw TCP and socat) IMHO, but he was the first, and his success prodded me to make my own.

Here is a YouTube video of what should happen on your iPod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHPVhDfxT8
    1 person likes this.
  2. bts0uth

bts0uth New Member

wow! :O very nice, this is great news
  3. VanBadga

VanBadga New Member

Yes! sweet looks like im gunna be doing this instead of the regular way!
  4. itouch101

itouch101 New Member

Has anyone done it this way?
  5. azian.dude

azian.dude New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    so i just go on da website on my itouch and it will hav da installer already installed?
    ???
  6. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

Wow, that is amazing, great work.
  7. VanBadga

VanBadga New Member

can you give us pics so we know... its not a fake???
  8. plg6067

plg6067 New Member

planetbeing wouldn't lie
  9. VanBadga

VanBadga New Member

ok just asking

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Could somebody confirm that this indeed works.