earth at night - awesome wallpaper

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by berky93, Mar 7, 2008.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

so I was browsing online today when I found this stunning set of images of earth at night, taken from space. Its awesome, they look almost like some google earth screenshot because of the clarity (still not so sure its a real image...but maybe its just really good). anyway I set one as my desktop wallpaper but was disappointed that because it was such a small image there was either a ton of black area around it or it was strangely stretched. so I edited the image to make it 1440x900 pixels (my desktop size)

the result looks great, so I thought I might share it with all the good people at ifans.com!

for best results set it to centered view if you have a smaller monitor or stretch if you have a larger one (if you have a really big monitor like the new mac monitors you may need to do center instead)

this was easy to make, so if you need a bigger one just open it up in the center of a document the size of your screen and copy squares of the space background to the missing parts to make it whole. because of the pattern it blends perfectly.

Attached Files:

2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Wow that looks pretty cool. As you said just like Google Earth.
  3. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

that looks real cool.
  4. FregoS

FregoS New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Omg... lol, you really don't believe it's earth? It is a computer made earth, and then it has been dotted with population, like they were lights... Dudes, think about it, if your lights where that power full... We'd be blind
  5. berky93

berky93 New Member

not true. Ive seen pictures taken by nasa of earth at night, and thats what it looks like. its not just one light doing that - its the combination of all of the lights in the city or area that make it visible. kinda like if you had a huge light that wasnt too strong, you could still see it from far away.

and I've so far eliminated it as a google earth model, because google earth looks different. When I got them it was from this article that said they were nasa pictures, but I think what they are is a series of satellite pictures put together. I say this because of the lack of clouds, but the realism of the photos
  6. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

it's a shame it's just of america

Please Register or Log in to view images

we want europe!!
  7. FregoS

FregoS New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You can clearly see it's not real dudes! Look at the earth! The whole earth is at night... THE LIGHTS WOULDN*T BE LIKE THAT!
  8. berky93

berky93 New Member

actually the site had a bunch of different views of earth at nihgt, I live in the usa so I used the america one. if I acn ifnd the site again i'll make a bunch with different views of earth.
  9. FregoS

FregoS New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yeah, well i think you'll just spell it wrong
    god lukc fidnign ti
  10. berky93

berky93 New Member

lol sorry I'm on my piece of sh*t computer for the next 2 days, not my awesome one with a WORKING keyboard!

lol