Earphones for 20

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by auni1996, Jul 27, 2010.

1. auni1996

auni1996 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well my JVC Marshmellows got...vacuumed... Please nothing about $20 is crap and stuff. I'm not an avid learner.

I'm considering buy the Marshmallows again, but I had some complaints. First of all, the earphone "buds" always fall out when they're in my pocket. Second of all, I hear a noise with each footstep I take when i'm walking.

These might be routine for these kinds of headphones, but i'm just asking. I got the Marshmellows for $20 before, so something like that. Looking for in-ear headphones. I mainly listen to rock and a little bit of pop if that helps.

Type (In ear/Ear bud/Circumaural/Supra-aural): In ear, but I don't know what the last two are.
    Budget: $20 (CAD)
    Musical preference (What do you listen to?): Mostly rock, with a little bit of pop.
    Headphones preference (Quite bassy, detailed, warm, bright, forward mids etc...): Don't really have a preference, but bass is nice.
    Any other details: See above.
  2. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I hate to say it but you won't be able to avoid microphonic (sound when the wire rubs on your shirt or even wind) with around $20 budget. Even $200 might have little microphonic, it depend on the quality of the cable and low-end 'phones have terrible cable quality.
  3. auni1996

auni1996 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ah well, beggars can't be choosers. Any suggestions?
  4. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I bought iFrogs earphons for $35AUD, they are in ear, I listen to rock and they have the iPhone mic/remote.

I get the footstep noise but only if I listen for it. But thats what you get with in-earphones, but I think it's worth it to be able to listen to music comfortably in a loud environment.

EDIT: $20 is not much of a budget for earphone, suggest you go higher.
  5. auni1996

auni1996 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well see I don't have much of a budget. I might be able to go up to $30.
  6. RandomEskimo

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Yeah it's tough not having much and wanting electronics.

I know, I'm with you.
  7. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    tbh, not every in-ear have microphonic. BUT I will say that when I first started listening to the in-ear (JVC air-cushion) the microphonic didn't bother me much and I thought it was in all earphones. It's only when you try a pair that doesn't have any microphonic that it starts bothering you when listening to cheaper pair.

Now, microphonic bother me very much because I have to turn my music up and the whole point of IEM is to listen at safer volume.

OP might want to try used Head-direct RE2 or RE1
  8. RandomEskimo

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    The weirdest thing for me was just the feeling of them in your ear but maybe one day I will get some realy good ones but for now I want an iPhone so all my money is going towards that.
  9. Code Name_Raven

Code Name_Raven Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    For 20$, JVC Marshmallows or Skullcandy Ink'd. Personally, I've had both, I like the JVC's better. SC's broke after a month.
  10. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

Don't buy skullcandy. Just go with some from Head Direct/JVC Marshmallows/Cheap Yuins/Koss Portapro/UR50