DVD to MP4

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JONJONJON, Oct 8, 2007.

1. JONJONJON

JONJONJON New Member

Does anyone have an 'idiots guide' to getting an off the shelf dvd onto your itouch ?

I've messed about with dvd dycrptor, dvd shrink and psp xylsoft but have lost the knowledge alone the line.

Do I need to get dycrptor to extract the film, shrink to compress it and a convertor to change it to MP4 ?

How long would this process take for one standard 1.5 hrs film ?

Cheers for any help...... Jon
  2. opsguy

opsguy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Use Handbrake and it's easy.

Here is mine easy method that has never failed for me.

First download "Handbrake" from here: http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Install the program on your pc. Now if you are running on a Vista machine then you want to open Handbrake by right clicking it's desktop icon, then choose "run as administrator".

The rest is pretty easy from the program instructions. For your conversion setting choose "iPod normal" or "iPod High Quality" which is what I use. The ripping, converting is all one step. It will even save the file in yout iTunes library for you.

Now regarding copy protected DVD's. You will need to use AnyDVD or something like that. You can find AnyDVD at http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Good Luck
  3. JONJONJON

JONJONJON New Member

Thanks Opsguy - will this Handbrake also shrink a dvd down to a couple of hundred meg ?

Ta... JON
  4. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch

1 thing....

any dvd has a 21 day trial unless you crack it...

ive converted 25 films ready for my ipot!
  5. Hazed

Hazed Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Word of warning, dunno if it's just me but I used Handbrake to convert an episode of Prison break to mp4 and iTunes wouldn't sync it to my iPod Touch... It said that the iPod couldn't play the file so it was not synced.
  6. opsguy

opsguy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    To answer JONJONJON's question about file size of a movie being 200mb or less. I don't know right off. I will check when I get home and repost here.

I have only used Handbrake for DVD's so I don't know how it performs on other videos.