DVD Ripper

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MaxTO, Sep 29, 2007.

1. MaxTO

MaxTO New Member

Hey all I am new to this site and am just loving it !! Almost as much as my ipod touch .
    I am wondering what program do you guys use to rip your dvd's for your ipod ? I use Magic DVD ripper , which is a pretty good app but I am wondering if there is another program out there that that may give me more options when it comes to the ripping so I can set the level of quality that the final product will have , MDVDR it seems all preset to spit out a 400 - 500 meg file there by giving up a bit on the way the end product looks .
    Thanks for any info you may have .
  2. Rimz808

Rimz808 New Member

I use DVD shrink to rip DVDs. Works really well. I can even spilt to specific scencss if I don't want to have the whole movie on my iPod. Then I use videora for ipod to convert the movie. Simple and fast to use... And both are free for download
  3. MaxTO

MaxTO New Member

Thanks for the info I am checking those two programs out right now

Please Register or Log in to view images

OOO the things I will do to watch 300 on my ipod

Will report back latter

4. hourog

hourog New Member

Go to www.dl.tv and download episode #164. There is a complete explanation of everything you need to know.

Have fun

5. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i heard that you could only play movies on it that were bought from itunes, is that true or is it just crap.

Cheers,
    Ben.
  6. MaxTO

MaxTO New Member

The ipod will play mpeg4 files , as long as its mpeg4 its all good .
  7. whatanerd

whatanerd New Member

how are you supposed to get the videos (non-itunes) on to the touch?
  8. trmac

trmac New Member

Convert them into a format that iTunes will play nice with ie. Mpeg 4 or h.264. Generally a .mp4 file extension. If your on a mac there are heaps of programs that will help you convert DVDs or other

material into a compatible format. I don't know about so many Windows options though. I do know that Handbrake is available for Windows (DVDs) and I think ffmpegX (converting other files ie. downloaded) is multiplatform.

If you have an older computer stick with mpeg4 (ffmpeg) encoding, as it will be much quicker. H.264 encoding takes about 10x the length the video on my ibook g4.

Xvid and Divx files won't play nice with your ipod. Once in mpeg4, the bitrate is a max of 2500kpbs or 1500kbps for h.264 and max resolution of 640x480 (someone correct me on that). Itunes will convert existing .mp4 files into compatible resolutions I think once in itunes (correct me on that also)
  9. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

Not true at all... you just have to make your movie files compatible with the touch formats. Apple lists it all on thgeir site. h264 video, baseline profile, level 3 max. audio is aac. As long as you put those two into an mp4 container you are good to go.

In response to the question. I do a more manual route and more in depth. I use DVD decrypter to rip the DVD, then I use a program called meGUI, which in turn uses a bunch of other programs to achieve my goal. It then uses DGIndex, to demux the video and audio. Then I use Besweet to convert the AC3 audio file to a wav file. Then I feed both the wav and the demuxed video back into meGUI which then converts the audio to 96kbit aac and converts the video as well, then muxes them into an mp4 file. In total, for movies under 2 hours, I can get excellent quality encodes (for the ipods resolution) at 700-800 megabytes.
  10. kraken

kraken New Member