DVD Collection App?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ironman_stittsville, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ironman_stittsville

ironman_stittsville New Member

Hi there,

I am looking for an app that I can use to keep track of my burgeoning DVD collection. This would allow me to add/remove movies, see reviews/ratings, and sort/search them. I have about 500 movies.

I used to use an app on the Palm platform but I've moved over to iPod touch and I'd like to get this last app/data migrated. The app I used was called "VideoHound", it was very good.

Anyone done this? If so, any pointers to apps and procedures?

Rh.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    it would be useful to be able to edit a file on the PC and sync it to the iPod touch so that i don't have to re-enter each movie that i have in my collection.

i guess that is not how the iPod works though...

rh.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    i wonder if videohound is planning to make a version for iPod touch, think i'll get in contact with them about this.

rh.
  2. ironman_stittsville

I sent an email to pocketsensei about adapting VideoHound for iPod touch but they sent me something about how they don't own the content.

They must have an agreement with VideoHound because they provided the content in an application for the Palm OS and it works well. So that was a confusing email exchange. The result though is that PocketSensei won't be delivering VideoHound to iPod touch anytime soon.

I downloaded an app ($1.99) called DVD Dashboard and I've been trying it out a bit. It's very limited and doesn't seem worth the money to me. It will allow you to enter in movie titles and their genre but it's missing a few key feautres, in my humble opinion. It does have a link to IMDB which is handy but it's basically just executing a search for the movie title you've entered in the record. I assumed it would be a direct link for some reason, maybe even with a more 'iWik' type of interface which would make it easier to view without having to scroll around. Some features it should have are:
    - ability to add year and other key elements to the movie record (director, writer, lead actors, awards perhaps)
    - ability to easily add cover art for the movie (from imdb perhaps)
    - a rating for each movie (perhaps obtain from imdb or override with your own)
    - access to trailers and reviews.

still looking for such an app...

Rh.
  3. ironman_stittsville

Stuff Radar

I've been using this app for a while now (Stuff Radar). It seems to be the best fit though it still forces me to re-enter all 550 of my DVDs into it.

At least it has some info about the director/actors, that is useful.

Rh.
  4. kiwiruss

kiwiruss New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I bought Handbase which has applets (databases ) you can download that have already been built for different functions. Its a bit pricy for the app ( $9.99) but you can get a lot of databases and use it for a lot of things. You can also build your own databases and export them.