Dust particles developing under screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aussiedude91, Oct 16, 2008.

1. aussiedude91

aussiedude91 New Member

I purchased my 8GB 2nd Gen Touch last month from the Online Apple Store. Now, recently I have begun noticing some dust particles underneath the screen. I currently have a Bodyguardz protective skin applied to it. Is this covered by warranty and should I get it replaced? Also, will it worsen as time goes on?
  2. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The protective skin would be the one doing it xD
  3. aussiedude91

aussiedude91 New Member

Well, I've had other iPods with skinds before and this has never occured, so there has to be something else causing it. I think it may have been a gust of wind or something that blew dust into it, but then again I'm not sure. Should I just ignore it or go for a replacement!?
  4. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Go check with the store, see if they can clean it out, if not ask for a new one, or demand a new one, whatever floats ya boat

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    that's usual...had this also on 1G it wont get worse but as the screen on 2G is now taped I'd try to go for a replacement.
    Dunno - on my 2G I didnt see such things until now (~1Month)
  6. aussiedude91

aussiedude91 New Member

Not really possible! I purchased it directly from the Apple Online Store, and besides, their isn't any Apple Stores here, only resellers.

So your 2G also has dust particles underneath!?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I've been feeling around the iPod to check how tightly sealed it was, and it seemed fine, so how dust got under there, is beyond me. Maybe it was there when I got it, but because I never took it outside, I didn't notice?
  7. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

I haven't had any issues, but I have also been reading some reviews on protectors and skins and they say they sometimes get dirt and particles lodged in between the skin and screen and the skin pushes the dust to the side and through the glass at the end.
  8. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the dust falls into the gap between glass and steelback. from there it will easily be transferred underneath the glassfront.
    that's pretty usual if you often put your ipod into your pocket. even you have a protector installed. that's not a defect or sth else as long the screen doesn't seem to peel of or sth else.
    (on 2G device thescreen is only taped on the touchpnale. in 1G it was fixed by 16 screws.)
  9. katakonik

katakonik New Member

I also have a small piece of lint under the glass. I sprayed compressed air through any small holes or cracks that I can see and the dust wouldn't move, so I'm assuming the seal around my screen is pretty tight. The piece of lint must have been there since day 1, but I just noticed it now. I might use static electricity to move it, but it doesn't sound like a good idea I assume.

I also agree with what mirror1 said about how dust can fall through the tiny gap between the glass and steel back over time.

I looked at some of the disassembly pictures (on ifixit) and noticed that right in between the glass and the steel, you can see like a thin piece of plastic. It's hard to describe, but if you look under bright light, you will see it. This plastic is also part of the glass screen, acting like a seal between the glass and metal. I also noticed that the plastic is uneven (on my touch) in some places such that it was the place where they probably used some tools to get the glass installed.

I do hope no dust will go in on my screen over time. I'm thinking of taping the sides, but it won't look too good.
  10. Germany

Germany Banned

The dust is not under your screen, but rather in between your screen protector and the actual glass screen. That is one of the reasons why screen protectors are unneeded along with the fact that the normal screen is highly scratch resistent to begin with.