Dungeon Master for Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by pettson3816, Jan 21, 2008.

1. pettson3816

pettson3816 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I guess you guys on this forum who are over 25 have all played the classic rpg Dungeon Master. http://www.mobygames.com/game/dungeon-master/screenshots

Wouldn't this be possible to port over to the Iphone/Touch? I think many of us would love that. For me it would be a dream come true. I'm pretty noob so i don't know what it would take to port this classic over. Maybe the development of a port of this game will have to wait til the SDK comes out at least.

What do you think? Would you like Dungeon Master for Ipod Touch?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Dungeon Master would be awesome. I spent a lot of time on DM and CSB on the Atari ST back in the day. There are certainly enough fan-made remakes available, some with sources, so I'm sure a port of one of them would be possible. The only questionable part is the controls. There are quite a few that you'd need quick access to, because the game isn't turn-based, so you'd need to be able to quickly bang out Zo Kath Ra (or whatever) and cast it before you get hacked to pieces by screamers or skeletons.

Main controls you'd need instant access to:

- Directionals (6)
    - Character attack buttons (4)
    - Spell elements (6 + 1-line display to show current element sequence)
    - Character selection for spells (above spell elements) (4)
    - Character windows/selection (for inventory, stats, etc.)

Party order could be a sub-menu. Also, you'd need a way to differentiate an attack with an item and throwing an item (maybe single or double-tap).

Please Register or Log in to view images

There's the main DM screen. You can see how considerable rearranging would have to be done in order to get buttons large enough to mash with a fat thumb, so some serious redesign work would have to be done to make it playable on the Touch/iPhone.
  3. pettson3816

pettson3816 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Really interesting. So i guess the most difficult part would be to integrate working controls. I hope somebody who loves dungeon master as much as i do (and has the skill to do this) will do something.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

It would certainly be nice. I'm dying for a good RPG, and DM would simply be awesome. The Touch can handle it without breaking a sweat -- just those controls would need a good rethink. I can think of a few ways it might be implemented so that it's still reasonably quick to access even if they're hidden behind pop-up menus, so I'm thinking it would be possible.
  5. iPodTouchEdwards

iPodTouchEdwards New Member

i reckon this would be good yes but wouldnt thier time be best suited on something else e.g working on the psx or snes emu etc
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

zodttd already has those covered. I am sure numerous other developers could handle porting one of the DM remakes over to the Touch.
  7. iPodTouchEdwards

iPodTouchEdwards New Member

ok then, they were just examples, i was using examples but anyone who realli wants to do it, go for it why not
  8. ChileTouch

ChileTouch Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    oh man....that'd be awesome!

that and chaos strikes back

9. UncleChuckle

UncleChuckle New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That, a port of Megamek, and a SID player would have me never do anything to my iPod again as it could never get more awesome than that!
  10. bentnuts6

bentnuts6 New Member

I love dungeon master was one of my favs growing up