Dumb question, Can I copy or burn dvd movies to ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bossco, Jan 2, 2008.

1. bossco

bossco New Member

Hi, my daughter received a new ipod touch and we are now wondering if we can copy dvd movies to her mac and then copy them to the ipod touch? Sorry we are new to this. We copy music cds to the mac and then copy to her ipod, but we are not sure how to copy dvds, if it is even possible.
    Thanks for your help and sorry for the stupid question, yes some questions are stupid!
  2. Eragon

Eragon New Member

It's not a dumb question, and welcome to the forum!

To play DVD movies on any iPod (iTouch and iPhone included), you will need to convert the DVD movie ripped to your hard drive to MP4, M4V or MOV format. Handbrake, v0.91, is easy to use and is free. There is also Visual Hub which is not free but is relatively inexpensive.

If you search this forum and others in the net, you may find programs which rip and convert videos directly.

First decide how you want to get the DVD to your hard drive. Then decide how you want to recode it to your device.
  3. Wesche

Wesche New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would like to welcome both of you to the forum... Lol.... as he said... just make it mp4, and drag it into videos, the only thing is you wont be able to put it in tv shows, movies only
  4. bubs58

bubs58 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, like said before turn it into a mp4 ECT... You can google a site for it probably then put it on your iTunes and sync and enjoy also... Welcome to the forum

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. bossco

bossco New Member

Thanks for the help and welcomes!

Thank you all for the nice welcome and helpful information.
    I downloaded handbrake and tried it. The download from dvd to computer seemed to take a looong time, is this normal for a full legnth movie on dvd?
    Thanks again,

6. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Keep in mind that commecial DVDs have around 7-8gb of data on them. It is perfectly normal for a DVD to take a while to rip.
  7. luisiko

luisiko New Member

I use Decrypter to rip my dvds (its really fast) , and videora to convert to mp4 .. ( it takes like 4 or 5 ¡hours conevrting) But great quality and sound

8. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

You can find hundreds of DVD rippers, many of them free to encode DVD to AVI or MPEG. Then you can convert them to MP4, if they aren't already. If it is a TV Series you can import it, then go into the "Get Info" screen in iTunes and go to the Video tab and in the little selection box, choose "TV Show," then put in all the info.