dual core

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by ajkiwi88, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ajkiwi88

ajkiwi88 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok this might sound dumb but is a 2.0ghz process slower or faster than a 1.73ghz dual core?
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yes.... 1.73GHZ x2= 3.46ghz

If your looking to buy a computer, get a quick processer and a good amount of RAM (2GB)
  3. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

actually its not quite that simple. overall, the dual core is faster. But for any ONE application the faster single processor is better unless that app supports multi-threading (in which case dual core is an advantage). If you tend to run multiple apps simultaneously, dual core is better.

you're right about the RAM though. I'd rather have a slower processor with more RAM than vice versa. As far as bang-for-your-buck goes, maxing out RAM is the best thing you can do for your system.
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

I hate to be an asshole but that is so dumb. That is not how dual cores work. What the person above me said is right. I would not bother with a 1.73GHz processor, even if it is dual core. Even when running multiple tasks the 2.0 would probably still work better then a 1.7DC
  5. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    oh ok. i feel nooby

Please Register or Log in to view images

but then, in reality...who only runs ONE app. i mean the average user has an internet browser open and a IM client. then theres things like music editing software or Photoshop