Dual booting and Chris Stroud

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by nathan93, Jan 22, 2009.

1. nathan93

nathan93 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Some of you may remeber the thread posted earlier in 2008, documenting Chris Stroud's efforts to make the ipod touch dual bootable.
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76267
    I posted a thread on thursday January 22nd, in an effort to see whether or not any progress had been made in the arena of dual booting between 2.xand 1.1.x. http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134113. I sent private messages to Chris and he responded quickly and accurately, the following is our conversation.
    Me: I was wondering if you had any further news to contribute in your valiant effort, and any tips you could give me, no matter how crazy would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you so much for your work.
    Chris: When I started that project, the effort going into it was much more worthwhile. 2.x has completely changed the iPhone landscape and 1.1.x is no longer supported or required for anything that I am aware of.
    I would advise sticking to 2.2, there is a great risk in attempting to dual boot your device and it would be far from worth it at this point.
    Me: I want to begin this correspondence by again thanking you, its developers like you, that make me look so good to my friends. I do want to counter your statement, by mentioning the following points. 1) Applications that are a premium in the app store, were previous releasled freely in installer:moo cow music. 2) I do not enjoy the new springboard customizer, winterboard. 3) 1.1.4 was the most stable firmware I have yet worked with. I realize of course that these are all petty and do not trully warrant a dual boot, but if it is possible, I would love it if you could drop me a line. To me, the complexity does not matter, the fun is in the hunt. In conclusion, I am not of the ability to do this myself, and am only seeking an experimental solution. It can be terminal, gui, or anything thing else within or outside of the spectrum. Thank you so much for your work, and I also enjoy anberlin.
    Chris: Anberlin is a great band, I'm actually wearing one of their shirts as I type this
    I will recounter your points with a few conjectures of my own.
    1. Applications that are now released in the App Store that were once jailbroken have only improved. They have been enhanced by better APIs, not to mention more public and well documented APIs. Developers now have a means to gain a profit from their works. Applications take countless hours to develop, think about it, I have been developing iPhone Utilities for about the past 8 months. It has changed many times and has been rewritten, but it will still publicly be a free app.
    2. The new "SpringBoard Customizer" is still beta. The power of WinterBoard and MobileSubstrate together is far greater than SummerBoard or Customize could have ever considered. The new method(s) allow for themes and customizations to be applied in-memory and for accidental file deletions to no longer be an issue, and for battery life to be almost completely normal.
    3. If the point here was stability, I could understand 2.0.2 - 2.1 being unstable, but I haven't found any instabilities in 2.2. I have used it extensively for development and I've thrown a lot at it and it actually hasn't crashed. To be honest, 1.1.4 isn't as structurally sound as 2.x. Everything is just *different*.
    Dual booting is something that I will not recommend for you to do as you can literally brick your device. And you know that I am not one to throw around that statement. I have personally not tried it and did not offer this as a public solution for the 1.1.4 Application runtime because of its complexity. I can get you a copy of Jonathon Zdiarsky's guide on performing the process and I can annotate it for you, but I can't tell it to you form experience, all my advice is to simply cope with what you have, times simply change.
    Me: I am thankful for your quick responses, and for continuing this conversation with a basic level user such as myself. I do understand all of the risks involved, and I have truly weighed the pros and cons. I would like a copy of the guide, if it is possible. I am not sure whether or not I will go through with it, but I think it is interesting material that can be of great use to a great many. Thank you so much for your help.
    Chris: Here is a link to the guide, however upon a quick overview, it will not work on 2.x. Boot-args are disabled so you won't be able to mark your boot partition.
    Me: Thanks for your help. If I do this, and I dual 1.1.4 and 1.1.1, is there any way to access the 2.x app store in 1.1.4?
    Chris: Nope, the 2.x kernel and APIs are so different, even the userland itself it restructured somewhat. It just isn't going to happen. You are stuck to choose between the dead end 1.1.x or the ever thriving 2.x firmwares.
    Me: Thanks for your help, and for now I think I am going to wait until a stabler solution is published.
    Chris: Well, from here on out, it won't be doable to dual boot. Unless you mean a more stable version of the iPhone 2.x OS...
    Me: What about dualing 2.1 and 2.2?
    Chris: There is no way to set the boot-args to let the iBoot know which partition to load the kernel from.
    Bootargs are disabled in 2.0+, there is no longer a way to dual boot.
    Me: As always thankyou for responding with quickness and accuary. This correspondence has been an education al experience, and I hope you will allow me to bring my queries to you in the future.
    Chris: Yes, if you need anything, I will be here to help =)
    Me: Do you mind if I publish this correpsondence to inform the community of the latest goings on in the dual booting process?
    Chris: Well, it's fine with me as long as you don't portray me in a bad way lol. Be sure to give Nervegas some credit.

Link to 1.1.x dual boot guide by Nerve gas: http://www.zdziarski.com/papers/dualboot.html
    Credit goes out to NerveGas, planetbeing, ghost_000, dinopio, bgm, MuscleNerd and the iPhone-Elite and iPhone/iTouch Dev teams

Chris Stroud is the definitley the most informative developer I have yet worked with. He corresponded to my queries quickly and explained himself thouroughly. He puts a tremendous amount of work into his projects, and really sets the standard for what a programmer should be.
  2. frightenedcow

frightenedcow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thats a lot of reading. il do it later. i really will.
  3. viciouskilla

viciouskilla New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I only knew the kid for about two weeks. I tell you something about this kid...Chris is young but this kid knows what he is doing. I was testing some of his programs and the amount of work this kid done, is amazing. He is always determine to make all his programs work 100 %. And for anyone who doubted Chris before, just wait for his beta releases of his programs....the wait is worth it. Trust Me....

Rob
  4. cacman93

cacman93 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    wow, that was a lot, but iread it all, and i completly agree, Chris is a great guy!!!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    what he said!! FRIKEN AMAZING, i got some of his, uh, betas.
  5. viciouskilla

viciouskilla New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    haha i got to admitt, i love the openner!!!! but thanks cacman93... i give credit when credit deserves....this kid spents all hours of the night so we all can enjoy our ipods and iphones haha
  6. cacman93

cacman93 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yeah, hey do you like the new, uh, non-computer side of it, you know, the uh, secret.tiff thing
  7. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Lol I haven't publicly announced that yet?

Well, lets just keep that kinda close to the chest for now. It is an amazing feature, thanks to iptm. If you testers like it, seriously, PM him because he worked hard and put up with my persistence for days to get it working.

I'm out, it's time to sleep, we'll discuss the OP tomorrow if you'd like. stay on topic.
  8. viciouskilla

viciouskilla New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yea it is a pretty amazing program....hopefully many people would like it..