DropTune: iPod Touch as Virtual Turntable - Concepts and Mockup included

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by blksqrl187, Jan 11, 2008.

1. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

Hey guys,

A lot of you have had to listen to me drone on and on about my dream of being able to integrate my Touch with my current dj setup (Vestax007, 2x Technics 1200M3D's.) There's a thread that touched about the idea of a DJ Mixing Game, and that's fine as a game...

What I am looking to develop is more of a musical performance tool than a game. Your Touch would plug into the Line Level Inputs of 99% of today's DJ Mixers using a cable like the Apple Composite Cable which I recently purchased for this reason, and provide hopefully a viable way to playback .MP3 and .WAV files in the same way that Pioneer's esteemed CDJ1000 has done for the past few years, digitally, and without the need for this $1400 cumbersome (however sexy) unit.

There are essential functions that I've found:

1. A zero-latency, instant response PLAY pad, that's behavior can either be Stutter (hit the button over and over, and it will launch at a specific launch point that you define) or by Play/Pause (hit the button to play, hit again to pause, etc.)

2. PITCH CONTROL... my number one dream for the ipod touch (since ipod's were mentioned in the same sentence as DJ'ing, really.) This is essential as the very nature of this beast relies on being able to beatmatch your touch to the currently playing tune (either on another touch, or on your turntable.)

3. EDIT IN function... I have 90% of my vinyl backed up in 320kbps and I pride myself on editing them up to the first bit of sonic material (referred to as "top and tail"-ing.) Other mp3's I've downloaded however do not start right at the first downbeat, and sometimes you just want to start off at a certain point. How about a mini-wave Cue In editor, that would allow you to define this In point, so that when you hit play, it starts right at that downbeat, and when tapped in succession with the music (and with a bit of beatmatching), would allow you to drop the beat right on point with the currently playing track. This would be essential, also, to get a good mix in.

4. File Browser, obviously. Open up a mini-browser of Artist-Song to select what you'd like, and ease navigation with Back and Next buttons. Back, when hit, would backpedal to the EDIT IN point, and then to the previous track if at that point. Next would of course move to the next track in the browser.

5. Launch Mode... this is where you can change the setting to either Stutter (hit Play, and it starts at the track's defined EDIT IN point, and when hit again does the same thing again. For example, if you started with a vocal that said "In the beginning...", tapping PLAY over and over would result in something like "In...In...In..." If you would like a more traditional playback, switch to P/P which will change this behavior to a play/pause type interaction. More suitable when you need to pause something, not likely in most DJ'ing scenarios however.

6. STABILITY, perhaps the most important bit. This application to be considered a real tool would have to be relatively low-latency (as close to zero as possible to get your beat to drop right on with the music) and have a good "feel" for the pitch fader. Lot's of DJ's like myself will make small adjustments using the pitch fader to avoid "whirring" sounds when slowing down a piece of vinyl manually. It just sounds better, trust me.

So all those items aside, would any of you DJ's (or aspiring DJ's) out there find a good solid use for this? I personally have found myself at gigs with CD's of promo material from colleagues and friends, with no CDJ1000 to play it on. Sure I could shell out the $40 bucks each to get my tunes cut to proper dubplate... but I think, "Wouldn't it be nice if I could just cue it up on my ipod?" And I think so...

If I could program, code or script a lick, I'd be on this already, trust me. Any developers out there want to give this a run? I've got lots more ideas for it, but I think it's important to get the main points out now.

I've attached my mockup, put together in Photoshop. I'm beneath beginner-level at photoshop, so please be nice. Anyone interested in making this a reality?

Cheers,

blacksquirrel
    djblacksquirrel@gmail.com

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. unspoken000

unspoken000 New Member

Your idea is awsome!!!. I wish I could help you, but I know someone out ther in "touch land", can do this!!!
  3. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

thanks. sort of hoping this myself. i would love for this to get picked up and really run with. these little devices are so groundbreaking... lets get our moneys worth, right? id love to see one of the big names dropping dubs from a touch...

squirrel
  4. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

5. iclone

iclone New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yez sir.. u got some nice ideas.. ill get my touch tomorrow and i really hope soon all this goin to be possbile.. i think at last when the sdk finally gets released.. right now im readin about numarks idj 2 .. good lookin device but way too expensive.. idj1 is worth only 100bugs allready haha..wll mater of fact.. i got my eyes on two other great projekts.. maybe u should get in touch with em! i dont know much about programming but i could provide a nice gfx layout

Please Register or Log in to view images

well keep them tools comming...

iphone dj - still in development
    http://code.google.com/p/iphone-dj/

Beat Phone - Sequencer Programm (availible but long time no update/ive read it has chaospad like effekts)
    http://www.bblk.net/mateo/iphone-stuff/

i think there are some more.. ill post as soon as i find..
  6. Tega34

Tega34 New Member

can i run the beat phone on my ipod touch?
  7. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

yep i think so. I'm still looking for some audio-savvy developers to help make this tool happen. I know 6 other people now who've got iphones/touchs that wouldn't mind giving this a try in the booth.

COME ON DEVELOPERS... help us dreamers out.