DRM -Free iTunes?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by hawaii94, Jan 7, 2009.

1. hawaii94

hawaii94 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Was anyone tried the DRM free from itunes.

It seems kinda weird that Apple would do this.

A plot to destroy the world.??? haha

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Juni44ever

Juni44ever Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It makes no difference to me, since I would only want to listen to them on my iPod Touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It's nothing new. iTunes Plus has been around for quite some time. The only difference now is that come April 2009 all music will be DRM-free rather than just a selection.

But for the songs I have purchased from iTunes Plus, I don't notice much "better quality" that they say. But without DRM I love it! It's not just stuck in iTunes.
  4. Firebird94

Firebird94 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Can anyone explain to me what DRM free is?
  5. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    it means that any music bought on itunes can be played on any mp3, psp, or anything with a mp3 playing application. This means more people will use itunes.
  6. Dattu

Dattu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a copy-protection measure used in "protected" music files that prevents them from being played on unauthorized computers or portable players. It's a pain because, although it was implemented to prevent people from sharing music, all it's done is inconvenience legitimate buyers and encourage people to get there music through illegal means.

It's also used in games. BioShock had a particularly nasty version where the consumer could only install a game 3 times before the CD Key became useless. Furthermore, the game wouldn't install without an Internet connection because it needed to download various critical files that should have been on the disk, but weren't because 2K Games thought that it would curb potential pirates (didn't work). Eventually, 2K Games came to and realized that the intall limit was stupid.

So the moral of this story is: DRM limits legitimate users and doesn't affect pirates, but many companies are too far removed from their senses that they still think DRM is a pretty nifty idea.