Review Dragon Panic

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Radish, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Price: $0.99

Version: 1.0

iTunes Store link: Dragon Panic

Developer: Binary Square

Publisher: Click Gamer

[What is Dragon Panic?]

Dragon Panic is a small game by developer Binary Square. If you enjoy retro-themed pixel-style games, check out the other games by this developer.

[Gameplay/Controls]

The concept behind this game a mix of dodging and shooting. You are a dragon, choose between Blaze or Berny depending on your tastes (Blaze is green and orange while Berny is pink and yellow). There is no difference between the dragons in terms of gameplay.

As you see above, the controls are tough. I never liked acceleromater games all that much, usually because I tend to play in bed and on the bus, which makes games much harder than it should be.

Basically, things fall from the sky (apparently thrown by a "cowardly knight" trying to destroy you) and you, the dragon, have to incinerate the falling objects with your signature fireballs. Seems easy enough, until you find out the dragon can only shoot at a set angle diagonally right or left. Which makes for some hectic tilting as you scramble to get in position.

Any items that hit the ground with crack the platform it touches, then the next hit will break it, leaving you with less room to move. Rocks and Shields will break platforms in one hit, so watch out for those. Bombs are even worse and will take out several stones. If any objects hit the dragon, it's game over.

Special potions will periodically drift from the sky, destroy these and you will be imbued with special powers (if you miss, they will still crack the floor).

There are also skulls that momentarily stop you from shooting fireballs, and for a while limits the maximum distance of the fireballs.

Tilt too far and you might just trip

[Presentation/Graphics]

I don't know about you, but I don't exactly like pixelated graphics, even though it is the intended effect. Regardless, the dragons are quite cute, even if lacking detail.

[Extra Info]

[Audio]

Unfortunately, there is no background music, there is a little cheerful jingle at the start of a game though. The sound effects are enjoyable and tie in with the retro theme.

[Replay Value]

There are local high scores, which at any time you can send to their server, which will show you your world ranking.

I believe this game is more of a kill time game, not exactly a game you would want to play for hours on end, of course that depends on the person. ​

[Ratings]

Gameplay/Controls: 6/10 - Gameplay is all right, don't really like the controls, although the sensitivity has been calibrated quite well.

Presentation/Graphics: 5/10 - I'm sure most of you don't like pixelated graphics, it did redeem itself a little bit by keeping the whole game retro themed.

Audio: 6/10 - Nothing special. Ties in with theme.

Replay Value: 4/10 - Meh. Even with highscores, I can't bring myself to keep playing it.

Value for the Money: 6/10 - Lots of other small games like this for the same price.

Overall: 5.4/10 - "Average" Generally, apps in this range would have similar games. However, I haven't seen any other game like this, so if you're interested in these type of games, I'd suggest you look no further.​

Attached Files:

2. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice review so far. I like how you use the brackets for new sections of your review. Keep it up!

3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review! I agree with the score. A nice little game but ih has awkward controls and it doesn't hold your attention for long.
  4. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Great review, this is actually one of the few that I actually read the whole review, the game actually looks really good for $0.99. Although I have to say, this review kind of makes me want to merge audio and graphics together even more.
  5. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Whoa. Forgot the thumbnail, ninja edited a thumbnail in on an iPod touch. I am so proud of myself.

48days, I think smaller games like these should merge the audio and graphics maybe. We'll figure something out ;D
  6. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this game looks quite fun tbh. Retro-style