Drag and drop, does it work with an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fender2, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Fender2

Fender2 New Member

I have earlier owned an Archos mp3 player, and it showed up as a harddrive on the pc when I connected it with a USB cable. Then I could just drag and drop the files from the pc into the Archos. Is it correct that this is not possible with an iPod?
    What then if I have many mp3-files with no ID-tag, how do I find them?
  2. Flipzter

Flipzter Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    mp3tag&rename
    or just rename them in itunes.
    I loved my old archos. Was a great player back then. Did you put rockbox on it or leave it with archos firmware?
  3. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The iPod Touch has disk drive disabled, so your computer will not recognize it as an external drive meaning no, you can't just drag & drop files.
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

No, sorry. You have to use iTunes, but you can drag and drop files from iTunes so long as you check "Manually Manage Music" in your iPod's preference pane in iTunes.
  5. chadi

chadi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
  6. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Not for music or video. You can drag and drop files into the Media folder, but the iPod won't see the files - unlike the Archos, which WOULD let you drag and drop music and video from Explorer or whatever.
  7. JAD

JAD New Member

My iriver would let me do that too. It would be so nice if instead of having to fuss around with three different utilities (and one online server in the case of wedict) to manage books and various file types both on the ipod and on the laptop to be able to simply drag and drop the files into the correct application folder and have them work! Doh!!
  8. Gr4v1ty

Gr4v1ty Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I find that iPod s stupid to block this cause syncing takes soo much time...But I guess it's like this to prevent manging with the system...
  9. thegroove7

thegroove7 New Member

Hey guys, i'm seriously considering getting me a 2nd gen touch but let me understand this first:

I download my music off of P2P applications such as eMule. When I read that drag and drop is not possible, does that mean I will be unable to load these songs onto the iPod touch because they are not legally purchased through the iTunes store online?

Thanks for answering the question because this is top priority for me!
  10. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It should work fine.