Downloading files to your computer with iPhone without SSH

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hiddensanctum, Dec 3, 2009.

1. hiddensanctum

hiddensanctum Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Backstory:
    So one day when I was at work, I need to get an image editing program on my boss' laptop in order to fix an image that I was working on. At the time there was no internet connection and no wifi signals nearby either. I used my iPhone 3Gs to download the program onto my iPhone using Safari Download Manager. However even after that there was no way of me of getting the program onto the laptop since I could not use or download SSH or iPhone Browser. After playing around with my iPhone for a while I stubbled upon a very interesting way of getting files from your iPhone to your computer without SSH or iPhone Browser.

Initial Conditions:

- Do not have wifi
    - Don't have SSH or iPhone browser installed on your laptop

What you need:
    - Jailbroken iPod Touch (Works but unnecessary) or iPhone

Steps:
    Downloading using your iPhone
    1) Install Safari Download Plug-in (free) or Safari Download Manager ($2.00) from Cydia.

2) Using Safari Download Plug-in or Safari Download Manager download a file using 3G or Edge. This step does not work for iPod Touch users since you don't have 3G or Edge

Getting your file out of the iPhone or iPod Touch without SSH or iPhone Browser
    3) Install iFile (free trial) from Cydia For iPod Touch you must have this already installed when you are in the situation where you don't have wifi obviously

Please Register or Log in to view images

4) Now hold down the top button and home button of your iPhone. This will take a screenshot of the iPhone.

5) Using or iFile go to /var/mobile/Library/Downloads and find the file you downloaded. In iFile click on the arrow next to your file and change the file type to png (name_of_your_file.png)

6) Now click on Edit to copy or cut the file.

7) Navigate to /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE and paste the file into that folder.

8) Hook your iPhone or IPod Touch to your computer and a window should pop up (Auto Play) or just go to my computer and find the device.

9) You should see your file in /Internal Storage/DCIM/100APPLE and now copy and paste your file onto your computer

10) Change it back to the original file type (may need to go into Organize -> Folder Options -> View and uncheck hide extensions for known file types) and Tada! You got your file out of the iPhone without using SSH or iPhone Browser.
  2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

wow. i would have never thought of that. great job man.
  3. hiddensanctum

hiddensanctum Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    loll I was surprised that it worked myself, but guess its something good to kno when u can't use SSH or iPhone Browser