downloading files and newbies

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by SteveJob, Apr 30, 2008.

1. SteveJob

SteveJob New Member

I may look new here but my friend is a member so i've been using his account until I decided to create my own.

Anyways, so my question here is..
    Wouldnt it be better to prevent noobs (people with posts below 10 maybe?) from downloading files from this forum?

that way maybe they'll read more threads in order to make posts?

OR

make newbies section in this forum that links to almost all the instructions?
    so for example, instead of JUST having
    * setting up winscp in applications
    * forcing ipod into restore mode in tech help
    etc
    have links to them in newbies section so they can stop saying
    "i've searched everywhere but couldnt find any" when they havent searched at all..

just an idea..
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    While I see where you are coming from, the basis of your argument is flawed. Just because a user has fewer than 10 posts does not mean that person is a noob. Post count means next to nothing, considering that people may have used other forums and know how things work. It is not right to judge someone by join date or post count because a user with 10,000 could have made as many contributions as a user with 1 post.

That being said, I don't think there should be a minimum post level to download files. This would only cause people to spam in order to raise their post count. Our goal shouldn't be to turn people away.

That's just my opinion, so don't take any offense.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Welcome to the forums. (Good for you to make your own account.)
  3. SteveJob

SteveJob New Member

TBH, i really do agree with you. LOL
    But what about the idea of making newbies section which has links to the basic stuff?
    So they wont make excuses of not being able to find threads..
  4. Aristarchos

Aristarchos Banned

or maybe, make them read the newcomers section (newcomers sounds more polite)
    and then have them take a quiz on what they just read, of course the questions would change every time and they had to pass a certain number of questions to start threads

that would probably cut back on useless threads because then the newcomers would know they have a place to go for reference and wouldn't keep asking questions
  5. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Well that is what stickying threads are for. In the end, it is just a matter of the people taking the time to look, which is pretty difficult no matter what you do.
  6. Aristarchos

Aristarchos Banned

but if we show them where to look instead of throwing them into a wild tangent of forums....?
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    While a first experience on a forum may be intimidating to new users, other members shouldn't go head over heels to make put important threads right under these new users' noses. Stickies are there for a reason. If anything is done, a brief explanation of what a sticky is and where to find them may not be a bad idea.
  8. SteveJob

SteveJob New Member

well, when I first came to this forum I didnt know where to look for firmwares..
    Now i know thats in tech help section and seems bit obvious. But it was bit confusing at first and lazy noobs post before searching every sections.

So by making newbies section that has all the instructions,
    as Aristarchos said making them read, maybe by sending noobs to newbies section automatically??
    may reduce noobs asking for help.

Making questions seems good too but that would take very long time to make!
    and dunno who would make them..

Please Register or Log in to view images

(I would on weekends, LOL)
  9. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Well, making guides is something but forcing them to go to a section or something like that isn't something I agree with. All it would do is discourage from using the forums and sorta take the "free will" out of the forums..