Downloaded apps won't launch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bridaw, Aug 12, 2008.

1. bridaw

bridaw Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Downloaded apps stopped launching

How to cure the non-launching app syndrome:
    (worked for me anyhow)

1) Remove downloaded apps by un-checking the "sync applications" box in iTunes on the applications tab and then sync the ipod.

2) Check the ipod and confirm there are no stragglers left behind and delete all downloaded apps that may remain. You probably have at least one if you are reading this.

3) Reset. Go to ipod System Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
    This will reset all system settings but will NOT delete data or media. Photos, music, contacts, etc. will stay on the ipod.

4) Set iTunes to sync selected applications but select NO application check boxes and then sync the ipod.

5) Reconfigure your WiFi and personal settings. Verify the Music app can play music files. Verify personal data.

6) Download a freebie app to see if it will launch.

Carry on like before -only be careful what and how much crap you load onto your ipod -at least until they update and make the OS more stable.

Please Register or Log in to view images

- - - -
    Edit: added stuff above because nobody reads beyond the first post of any thread around here. My ipod would NOT launch any downloaded apps and the Music app showed no music on my ipod. I got it working without doing a restore and without losing any data or media. We now continue on with my original distressed post...
    - - - -

Help? I guess I need to do a restore but since that sucks, I thought I would check with the experts first. I have 2.0.1 installed on my stock 32GB ipod and a bunch of applications. It was fine yesterday -until all of a sudden it wasn't. Not sure what happened.

The only applications that will launch now are the "built-in" applications and all of them work fine except Music -which tells me I have no content. I do though because I can connect to my computer and play the music files that way.

Mail, safari, contacts, maps, etc. all work fine. I have restarted/reset the thing a couple times. I have synced it with my computer and verified the music and personal data is still there. When I launch a downloaded application, even stuff from Apple like Remote, the app begins to launch and in some cases I even see the background or start screen of the app, then poof, it stops and dumps me back to the springboard.

Any ideas on how to solve this? I can't leave it like this long so I guess I'll just have to do a restore.

2. interestingkid

interestingkid Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    authorize your computer through iTunes and just sync again (you don't have to resync everything, just sync even if you have nothing to sync) (i had apps crashing problem too until i authorized my comp, then it let me open it)
    also, i had the same problem of music app showing no music even though my ipod was half full. I erased all the music, synced them again with still no luck then i restarted the ipod, and bam, came back the music
    hope this helps
  3. rbngan

rbngan New Member

App Store Apps won't open on 2.0 non-JB after install several apps

I'm having the same problem. I tried authorizing computer then sync and it did not work.
  4. bridaw

bridaw Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    closer

I found this thread and I think my problem is related.

I'm still working on the problem but I am closer. I did not do a restore yet and I don't think it is necessary. At least, I hope.

Right now the Music app recognizes and plays the music files again and I stumbled into some weirdness that I think is causing the problem. Here is what I have done so far:

1) I removed ALL downloaded apps by un-checking "sync applications" in iTunes Applications tab and then syncing the ipod. iTunes warns me that it will delete ALL apps and ALL data. OK -only it turns out it doesn't.

2) Reset. I went to System Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
    This reset all system settings without deleting data or media.

3) Verified the Music app now sees my music files again! yeah

I also verified other user data was still there and I configured my network prefs for my LAN again.

4) Next I pushed a few downloaded apps back to the ipod to see if they would launch. I installed Remote, HoldEm and ToDo.

I picked up the pod when the install was complete and check this out:

I did NOT select and install these apps in iTunes -yet there they are. When I reconnect to iTunes, these 6 apps still are NOT selected. Hmmm.

I remember an attempted "Light" wifi upgrade that failed and it made me sync with iTunes to install. Same thing with AIM.
    At one time I removed both Labyrinth LE and JawBreaker by deleting them from the ipod and later I reinstalled them both over wifi.

I don't think the problem is due to too many applications or even a specific one. I think between failed wifi installs and upgrades, keeping track of what was installed, upgraded or deleted over wifi vs iTunes -the OS just gets to a point that it fails to launch anything. I have downloaded, played and deleted A LOT of applications. There must be some register that gets hosed. The geeks here might figure it out but it seems it just needs a clean slate and then limit how much crap you play around with until they update the OS.

The apps still weren't launching so I'm currently waiting while I repeat step one again to remove all apps. I will check to see if those boogers show up because I can't swear I checked the first time. If they do, I'll delete them from the ipod and sync again.
  5. rbngan

rbngan New Member

Now I lost my music and it is stuck on the apple logo. This sUUUUUUUCKS!!!!. Why can't Apple produce a product that works. This has been happening on and off for since I updated to 2.0 and 2.0.1. I can't back up because itunes said the back up is no good. I can't get it off the apple icon. I tried holding the power button, the power and menu button and nothing. There is not plug to pull. What next?

6. bridaw

bridaw Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    My problem had nothing to do with what computers are authorized in itunes.

I have mine fixed. No data lost, only time.

iTunes 7.7.1 and iPod 2.0.1 are hosing their record of what is installed on the ipod.

Eventually things get so fragmented/corrupt that apps do not launch.

When iTunes completed removing "ALL" the apps and data -the installed apps were still there. I deleted them all from the iPod and then synced again with iTunes leaving the "sync applications" box un-checked on the applications tab. Clean slate.

I did a direct wifi download of Remote from the App store. I was able to launch and configure the app to remote control some tunes and send it to my airtunes speakers.

Next I set iTunes to sync only selected applications but selected NO application check boxes. I synced with iTunes. It did not ask to transfer the purchase and didn't check the box showing that Remote is installed on the ipod. This WAS working, the 7.7.1 update seemed to add support for properly displaying what was installed and what was not but something is hosed. I checked the box for Remote and then I checked the box to push over ToDo and synced again.

I was able to log into my toodledo account and download all my todos. OK. Downloaded one app direct to ipod over wifi and pushed one onto the iPod with iTunes. Now -I will be much more selective about what gets installed on my pod.

Here are 5 steps to cure the non-launching app syndrome:
    (worked for me anyhow)

1) Remove downloaded apps by un-checking the "sync applications" box in iTunes on the applications tab and then sync the ipod.

2) Check the ipod and confirm there are no stragglers left behind and delete all downloaded apps that may remain. You probably have at least one if you are reading this.

3) Reset. Go to ipod System Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
    This will reset all system settings but will NOT delete data or media. Photos, music, contacts, etc. will stay on the ipod.

4) Set iTunes to sync selected applications but select NO application check boxes and then sync the ipod.

5) Reconfigure your WiFi and personal settings. Verify the Music app can play music files. Verify personal data.

You should now be able to start transferring applications back onto your ipod with itunes. I'm going to be far more selective about what and how often I install apps. I depend on my ipod way too much as a pocket computer for this kind of down time.

/waiting on the update
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    drama....

Is your attempted restore and waiting on the apple logo related to apps not launching?

What do you mean you "lost" your music?

Just because the system settings shows zero songs and just because the music app fails to play files doesn't mean anything. If you connect your ipod to itunes you should see the music files are still there -unless you deleted the files or did a restore from itunes or the reset from the ipod that deletes the whole shebang.

How long do you wait at the apple logo? Patience.... the fact that you see the apple logo is a good thing. There have been several times I had to wait a __long__ time. I mean panic long. Fall-asleep-while-you-wait long.
  7. Jesus69

Jesus69 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    uninstall and reinstall a few of em... and that should fix at least those apps if not all of them...not sure why but thats how i fixed it...
  8. rbngan

rbngan New Member

bridaw
    sorry to be so dramatic

. On top of the itouch not working like it should, the Olympic judges are frustrating me with their scoring.

I was just trying to turn my ipod off and on at first to power cycle to see if that would fix it. but the apple logo came up and would not finish booting. So out of furstration i tried the two button method to turn it off. I'm not sure what that is doing, but it seams to turn it off as long as you release the power button first. If you release the menu button it comes back to the apple logo.

At times, the itouch has gone to the apple logo while I was just using the itouch.

Anyway. What I meant by "I lost my music on my itouch". For some reason some of the music on my touch was not in my itunes library. When I was getting the apple logo I tried to turn off the touch by holding he two buttons. It finally came up with all the icons (after about 10-20 min), but the music and video's said there is no content. It still has my 3 saved pictures from my drawings and my "if Found" program. You are correct, when I attach my itouch to itunes and look at the music and vidios on my ipod it does have the music and videos from my play lists, however, the ones that where on my itouch and not in my itunes are gone. Holding the button's down must have reset and wiped them out.

Patience. I know I should have more. I'm not used to apple products. I'm not sure how long to wait for the system to do it's thing. This is my first and I'm not ​

Jesus69 - When this happened to me in the past, your fix worked. I've tried again and it is not working. Good to see it is still working for you. I'll tried it one more time and it still did not work.

I'm going to give bridaw's solution a try and let you know how it works.
  9. bridaw

bridaw Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Olympics, what a crack up.

I got my 32GB about a month before 2.0 and there is a HUGE difference in how long it takes to startup the new OS vs the old one. This seems to increase as you load it up with apps and maybe due to fragmented or orphaned files from failed syncs, installs, upgrades and deletes. Apple needs to pump out another update.

I hope you didn't do a restore and you find the files are still there. When my ipod was acting whacky the last week, the Music app was telling me I had NO music files with a polite reminder I could buy more from Apple.... The reality is my music was still there. I panicked on one reaaaalllly long apple logo startup and I shut it down, turned it on, OMG.... try it again.... It finally just set it down and left it alone and it started up the next time.

To get my ipod out of that whacky won't-launch-apps mode, I had to remove all apps using iTunes and deleting stragglers directly on the ipod. I did the reset, synced and then I was able to launch apps again. The Music app is now able to read/play the music files. Even when the Music app on the ipod told me there were no files, I could still connect to iTunes and see them on the mounted ipod. I knew they were there even if the Music app said they weren't. If you mount the ipod and they really are gone from the ipod then that is a big major bummer if you never transfered the purchases from your pod to your computer.

I'm really glad I took the time to read stuff around here and did NOT do a restore. I should edit my first post because very few people around here seem to actually read beyond the first post in any thread.

10. rbngan

rbngan New Member

I did
    "1) Remove downloaded apps by un-checking the "sync applications" box in iTunes on the applications tab and then sync the ipod."

"2) Check the ipod and confirm there are no stragglers left behind and delete all downloaded apps that may remain. You probably have at least one if you are reading this."

All the downloaded applications were still there so I deleted them all.

When I went to "3) Reset. Go to ipod System Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
    This will reset all system settings but will NOT delete data or media. Photos, music, contacts, etc. will stay on the ipod."

When I touched settings, the itouch is just sitting at a black screen as if were the settings screen was trying to load for about 45-60 sec.
    Now itunes popped a message saying "the ipod xxxxxxx's ipod cannot be synced. The disk could not be read from or written to." Then the lovely apple icon shows up on the itouch.

After about 2 min it came back to the main screen and all my downloaded apps are back and they still do not open

This time I when into applications tab in itunes and unchecked each program individually then synced to see what happens. It says it is removing xxxx program. I hope it's from the itouch. I'll wait awhile for it to complete and post again. It's taking some time to remove the apps.
    Ok it finished. itunes gave me an error "The application "Moonlight Mahjong'Lite" was not removed from the iPod "xxxxx's iPod" because of an unknown error occured"

Also, Broadcast, SOS Torch, IChoose, Accel Break, IMaze Counter, Sward Drill, Zenbe TN250, and Writing Pad are still on there

Synced a second time and this time it removed the Moonlight Mahjong Lite, but left the others. I manually deleted them

Moved to step
    "3) Reset. Go to ipod System Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
    This will reset all system settings but will NOT delete data or media. Photos, music, contacts, etc. will stay on the ipod."​
    and the apple icon came back for 45 sec or so and came to the main screen. My music and video's shows up on the itouch

Next:
    4) Set iTunes to sync selected applications but select NO application check boxes and then sync the ipod.​

When I did this it did a back up. I don't know why it does this all the time and it takes a long time (usb 1.0, just changed to 2.0 today, and it is much faster, but still about 20 min.)
    Done

Next:

Done and music and videos play

Hangman, loaded and installed fast but does not work. power cycled itouch. app still does not work.

What did I miss?
    Wait. I did another sync and it back up again and now hangman works.
    I checked the box on three apps in itunes and syned and they all work!!!!!
    Well I loaded most of my apps and they all seem to work

(except all the prior game scores and app settings are gone and I have to reset the apps up. Thanks bridaw for you help

. I wish I know what caused it so I don't have to go through this again.