download without cydia?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by andybno1, Dec 5, 2008.

1. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

is there a way to download stuff on cydia outside of the ipod touch like via a web browser? I ask because I am in a no wi-fi area at the minute and want to install something and maybe get a couple of new themes and ssh them onto the device.
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

1) If you can access the repo with your web browser on a desktop or laptop computer, and know the address, do so.

2) Save the .deb file in question you want to transfer over to the iPod. Copy it onto the iPod using DiskAid to a folder you can find it in later.

3) Open MobileTerminal on the iPod. Navigate to that folder, switch to superuser mode (su) and then apt-get install packagename.deb
  3. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

cheers jarlath I will give this a go and see how I get on

EDIT: I used winscp terminal and used the command dpkg -i as apt-get install gave me an error

EDIT2: well ok I managed to install pockettouch again as it just wouldn't work for un known reason but when I try to install wbapp manually I get the following when using apt-get install and dpkg -i in winscp's terminal program:

/private/var/stash/Applications.W5vh5R$ apt-get install wbapp0.96.deb
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (35 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

and if I use putty in the dir of the wbapp deb file I get:
    localhost:~ root# su
    localhost:~ root# apt-get install wbapp096.deb
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (35 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    localhost:~ root#

in putty it shows as a completed install when using dpkg -i and the folder is in applications folder but nothing shows on springboard even after respring and reboot.