iOS 3.1 download with dialup

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Tauched, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Tauched

Tauched Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Tried to upgrade to 3.1.1 over Wi-Fi at library.
    Message stated I had to download from PC.
    It would take 51 hours to download.
    Anyway $4.95 has been deducted from my gift card. Can I get that amount back?
    Did not realie the file was so huge.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Could I just use someone elses PC with broad band for big downloads and mine for photos?
  2. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

The ipsw is about 300mb - not very fun with dial up. You can restore (maybe update too?) from any PC and sync form another if that's what you're asking

3. bongoman

bongoman Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    you can dfu restore (in case you're jailbroken) and ask at the itunes store if they'll let you update there? and show them the itunes store receipt if they ask
  4. superrob

superrob Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Maybe its time to switch away from dialup?
  5. clayton2

clayton2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You do know that not everybody lives in a town, and that broadband isn't available everywhere, right? I always get irritated when someone's reply is to get faster internet, like high-speed internet just grows out of the ground. And don't even get me started on satellite internet...there's no bigger rip off. If it rains...internet goes out, and there are occasionally download limits.

To the original poster, if you really want the update, most libraries sometimes have laptops that can be checked out, and you could download iTunes + the update, and update on that laptop, or, you could do some google-ing and just find the update .ipsw file on the internet, and download it and put it onto a flashdrive, then on your home computer, hold [Shift] + Click on "Update", then choose the .ipsw that was on your flash drive, and boom! It updates. Since you did pay for the update, I see no unmorality in getting the .ipsw from somewhere else.
  6. Tauched

Tauched Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for your replies.
    Hope I can get a friend to allow the iTunes to be installed and then update.
    Would I have to shell out another $4.95 if I did it that way?

Otherwise I hope I can find a copy as clayton2 suggested. Hope it is a good copy that is not corrupted or has a virus attached.

Notice that you have a 2G with 3.1.1. Where did you get your update?
  7. souljaboitellem

souljaboitellem New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    haha

haha i hear ya i just got Verizon (befor i had dialup slower then 56k haha it sucked) and im in a middle of the woods.

8. Tauched

Tauched Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Downloaded a file from www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware and have a bunch of folders after extraction.
    Now what do I do? Cannot figure out which file to add or change to .ipsw.
  9. clayton2

clayton2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You shouldn't need to extract it. I tried downloading it from that site, and downloaded as a .ipsw right away.

You should try downloading it again.
  10. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

Once you have your .ipsw you can restore from it by shift-clicking 'restore' in iTunes and finding the .ipsw.

Or if you want to upgrade you can dump the ipsw in \AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Update. Make sure you replace Restore with Update in the ipsw name