Download packages without cydia...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by pavan, Mar 2, 2010.

1. pavan

pavan Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hey im looking for a way to download packages on a mac without cydia or rock on my computer.

Notice i said mac, so no cyder.

InstallerApp from ripdev is no longer supported and didnt work for my 2g ipod anyways.

is there a way i can download deb files from the computer through the source or something in a web browser? or maybe another app alternative? thanks.:D
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Seriously, if you don't know, don't assume it doesn't exist.

You can download .DEB files of every package on the BigBoss repo on his website.

http://thebigboss.org/hosting-repository/

GetDeb.net seems to be just the thing you're looking for, but I can;t get the page to load.

http://www.getdeb.net/
  3. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

+1000

Once you do this, just stick them on your iPod with an FTP client, preferably in the /tmp directory. Then, install the .deb with:

Code:
    dpkg -i /tmp/myapp.deb
  4. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ModMyI packages (most) can be downloaded via this method:

Navigate to the following site:
    http://modmyi.com/cydia/search.php

Find an app you would like, for example, I'll do MakeItMine, since I know its on ModMyI.
    When you click on it, it should bring you to a main summary page:
    On the left, look for this:

File Name:, and next to it, there should be something like this:

You want to copy the last part of it, so everything after the last slash, so I would copy com.sadun.makeitmine_2.1_iphoneos-arm.deb.

With that copied, go to Google, and copy-and-paste the file name into the search bar.

Look for a result that has something similar to the following:
    - Index of /apps/debs
    - Index of 2debs/
    - Index of 3debs/

The results will either be on a MMi page, although "camadam.com" has a few. Click the website, and you'll be presented with a huge list of .DEB files.

Press CTRL+F on your computer (OPTION+F on a Mac), and paste in what you copied. It should highlight your app, and all you have to do is click it, and it will download the DEB file, then you can follow ^ spoony's installation instructions, that he forgot to mention that can either be done on your device with either iFile or MobileTerminal, or through your computer with WinSCP or CyberDuck. :)

- iThemer
  5. nerddownthestreet

nerddownthestreet New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I use InstallerApp on my iPod (3rd gen, 3.1.2). What I do is download the DEB and go into C:\Program Files\ripdev\installerapp\Data\Packages. Then, find the package and rename it something.deb. Move it into your iPod and then install it either over SSH terminal or MobileTerminal, running in root, by typing dpkg -i something.deb
  6. slamdunksaliby

slamdunksaliby Member

Device:
    iPad 4