Downgrading Firmwares thru iTunes 10

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by rykah, Sep 19, 2010.

1. rykah

rykah Member

I'm on iTunes 10, Windows 7 x64. I can't downgrade/restore using my normal method. Because it's x64 (I think), I had to edit the Hosts file to route to Cydia after iTunes checked for updates. Then, while open, I could edit the host file and downgrade/restore.

Now, iTunes 10 keeps its host file sources or something. If I edit the host file after checking, it won't restore normally. If I edit it prior to opening iTunes, it won't reach Apple's servers.

Any ideas? If I have to downgrade to iTunes 9, I won't mind, just give me directions how if it's harder than going through the Control Panel.
  2. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, i haven't tried to downgrade with itunes 10 so I cant really speculate on that, but I have downgraded itunes before. Just uninstall everything that has apple, inc. as the publisher from the control panel (bonjour, quicktime, etc...) Then find the version that you want to downgrade to and install it. you can back up your music library if you want to, because it may be deleted. I don't remember how to do that though.
  3. SuperTiti

SuperTiti Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi,

You should follow this tuto on how to downgrade.
    iTunes 10 seems to be okay according to DevTeam reports !

Good luck

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. rykah

rykah Member

SuperTiti, I know iTunes 10 has the Dev Team's blessing. I know how to downgrade. What I need to know is how to downgrade with iTunes 10 on my particular system.

Mangels, thanks. I know how to back it up (it's in File > Library), I just didn't know how to downgrade.

...I just realized. If I go back to iTunes 9 I won't be able to get 4.1 when SHAtter comes out.

Any more ideas pertaining to downgrading a la 10?
  5. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, i think you could downgrade to itunes 9. then downgrade your iphone. then upgrade to itunes 10 again and stay on 4.0 until SHAtter comes out.
  6. cyberghoser1

cyberghoser1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I downgraded with iTunes 10 from 4.1 to 4.0 Successfully on my mac by changing the host this morning and i could jailbreak my 2G iPod MC model with jailbreakme.com, the weird part is that i had saved my shsh blobs for 3.1.3 so i dont know why it worked on 4.0 but it worked

7. metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight New Member

I don't know about pointing it to Cydia, but with TinyUmbrella (which I did not have to change my hosts file for, but I'm on a Mac) I've done several downgrades.
  8. alphonse3344

alphonse3344 Well-Known Member

Rykah, you do have some shsh's saved right?
    List some and let me see what I can do.