iOS 4.0 Downgrade

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Llght, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Llght

Llght New Member

Is it possible to downgrade to 3.1.3 and use jail break while waiting for one for 4.0?
  2. noneedtoknow

noneedtoknow New Member

Yes it is possible to downgrade and jailbreak 3.1.3 (using Spirit, redsnow 0.9.2). I have tried it but have had little luck at downgrading since i always get the "error 28" or "error 3194" on iTunes when im trying to downgrade (for which really there is no fix)

BUT having said that many have downgraded successfully without facing these errors so you could give it a shot maybe you'll be luckier than I am but personally, to save the hassle of dealing with potential problems; just wait it out; jailbreak for 4.0 is just around the corner

hope i helped

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Llght

Llght New Member

Thanks but how do i downgrade?
    Will running spirit on 9.2 itunes not work if i downgrade to 3.1.3 (if successful) ?

I was forced to restore and upgrade at the same time when I did something weird with my cydia.
  4. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    if you use spirit on itune 9.2 you be stuck in a boot loop
  5. noneedtoknow

noneedtoknow New Member

To downgrade you visit this site:

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Then you select what firmware you wish to downgrade to from the list and download it. Be careful here when downloading because most browsers save the file as '.zip' or '.rar'; u must save it as '.ipsw' which you do by simply renaming the file.

Once you've got the firmware go to iTunes and hold Shift and click 'restore'(if ure using windows) OR hold Alt then click restore (for MAC) and then select the firmware you just downloaded

iTunes should then go through the restoration process; restoring your iPod to the previous firmware; but this is where the problem is; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt; and a vast array of 'errors' can pop up preventing the downgrade

As for jailbreaking; as 'XxRedRumxX' said; if you're running iTunes 9.2 Spirit wont work. So I still think its better to wait for a jailbreak for iOS4 MC Model (IF yours is an MC model that is); you could also try get your hands on older iTunes version and give Spirit a shot.

Another thing; if you are considering downgrade then just as a safety measure; download the iOS 4 from the site i mentioned above; so incase things go south u can quickly restore your iDevice to what it was before (its done the same way as i outlined in downgrading)
  6. minimee83

minimee83 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Should I wait

I had to restore my jailbroken ipt 3g it forced me to but 4.0 software, how can i downgrade back to 3.1.3 so i can jailbreak again or should i jus wait
  7. ocr123

ocr123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    is it possible to downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1.2?
  8. TheDoctah

TheDoctah Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Yes it is. I just did this last night.

Actually, 3.1.3 refused to work for me, i was forced to go back to 3.1.2

3.1.3 was always attempting, and failing, to authenticate with Apple.