Downgrade from 4.0 to 2.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ethiopian, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes, I know it seems stupid with the new iOS4 jailbreak coming out either today or yesterday, but the reason I want to go down a whole 2 firmware levels is because then I can sync my ipod with a program called Winamp, which is so much better than iTunes (at least in my opinion). I figured I could customize the look of the outdated firmware with the themes and all that, plus the 4.0 software takes up a lot more space than the 2.2.1 and most of 4.0's features don't apply on my iPod (multitasking, backgrounds on the homescreen), so after thinking about it for a while I think i want to go back to 2.2.1

Btw, mine's a 2g 8 gig mc model running 4.0 software.

If anyone knows a way, be it going back to 3.1.x then 2.2.1, thanks in advance
  2. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    dfu downgrade.
  3. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sorry, but how would you downgrade? Just 4.0 -> 3.1.x -> 2.1.2?

Cause that's kinda what I'm asking. Just want to make sure I know what i'm doing before i mess up my ipod or anything
  4. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Download iTunes 8.x.x then download the 2.2.1 firmware. Then put your iPod into DFU mode and press shift+restore to the firmware file.
  5. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sorry to ask again, but how would i put it into dfu mode? Is that just connecting it and letting it sync? Because my itunes is empty and it would erase everything, which i'm fine with; all my music is in winamp, but is it just easy as downloading itunes 8?
  6. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Here follow these steps:

Download iTunes 8.x.x(dunno exact so you will have to find that out)
    Download a iPod Touch 2G 2.2.1 ipsw file
    Uninstall your current iTunes
    Install iTunes 8.x.x
    Plug your iPod into your computer
    Hold the home and power button until the screen flashes white
    then release the power and keep holding the home
    Wait until iTunes says your in Recovery Mode and Have to Restore
    Hold Shift and then click restore and select the ipsw file
    Then wait
    Your Finished.
  7. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just to warn you, apple are no longer accepting apps with support for 2.x firmwares. So you wont get much from the app store anymore, they'll mostly tell you to upgrade to 3.x or 4.0
  8. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hmmm... Well, I've never jailbroken my iPod before, and obviously I am going to once I downgrade, so i gotta ask; do the apps on cydia compare to the ones in the app store? Like, would i miss out on all that much by running on 2.0?
  9. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Cydia mainly has tweaks and themes. Not many games. So if your gonna rely on Cydia then don't count on playing that many games/apps.
  10. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    All right that's cool. I don't play too many games anyways. I did purchase a few things I would like to keep however, like a thesaurus and a game or two. I guess I would lose them then...? Well, it's worth it. I need an efficient way to sync with winamp. I could just use CopyTrans Manager, but that thing takes about 2 hours to sync a thousand songs and it garbles the artists page by saying band names that start with "B" go under "G". ):<

So, if this works, I'll let you guys know. If not, I guess I'll just have to restore or something. Thanks.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ok, so now I'm getting this error. My iTunes version is 8.0, my ipod is in recovery mode and itunes told me to restore, i shift-clicked it and selected the 2.1.2 firmware, and I get this error. When I click help, the apple website tells me to update iTunes (which i think is probably the issue, i might not have downloaded the correct 8.x itunes). But just as i was typing this, my itunes chimed like when you first connect it, and when i slid the thing, it was still on 4.0, all my songs / apps were on there, as well as folders. Then the actual itunes program told me to update to itunes 9.2. Could I still just shift click restore on 9.2? What would you guys recommend?

Please Register or Log in to view images

It's an error 20 btw