Downgrade 3.1.1 to 3.0 on 1st gen & 2nd gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by rkdigital, Sep 30, 2009.

1. rkdigital

rkdigital New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It can be done, thanks to Bassface for the following guide to the 1st gen running on windows XP:

For a 2nd gen, its the same routine, just make sure you have the correct image file for your unit.

---Note if you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7
    the files will be at the following location:
    c:\users\"user name"\apdata\roaming\apple computer\itunes\ipod software updates

---Note #2 you may have to run redsn0w on your unit at least one time while still on the 3.1.1 firmware, before the 3.0 firmware will take.

If you would like to read the full thread please go here,
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240752

Mod's please make this a sticky for the forum, as the original post has over 56,000 views.

This has been confirmed to work!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

I think you can just do a shift-restore in DFU mode and it will downgrade just fine. Only you can't downgrade an iPod Touch 3G

3. californiascene

californiascene New Member

K i need HELP i downloaded the 3.1.1 firmware for free not knowing there wasnt a jailbreak available.. I did this because most the apps i want to play need 3.0 or higher so i went with the newest firmware.. I got this far

-Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Parker\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates (files are hidden, so you need to view hidden files)..
    My problem is i get as far as iTunes/ but dont see iPod Software Updates, the only thing im seeing is SC info and IpodDevices.xml so wtf am i doing wrong, and please help cause non jailbreak ipods are WEAK..
    Ive jailbroken a 1g and 2 2g's so I'm not useless.. help anyone
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    someone post a link to a legitimate 3.0 firmware download.. going to try this DFU downgrade method.. I got a 16GB iPod Touch 2G, u think it will work?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Done a while ago.. all i did was DFU MODE + Shift Restore clicked on the 3.0 firmware sitting on my desktop and done.. than used redsnow 8..
    a lot better than doing that whole list of stuff.. It worked for my touch 2g
  4. Bassface

Bassface New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Californiascene, what version of itunes do you have? I just want to iron out the creases in my plan...
  5. californiascene

californiascene New Member

I got the latest version of Itunes.. It's white and what not I forget which update it was... Anyways Cydia.[PIRACY].us is not working so Im still screwed with the apps. It keeps saying Repository not found, bad url.. BS:/ Their site is down, this could be why.. either way it effin sucks