Doubts about iPod Touch 3G 8GB Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wirkku, Apr 3, 2010.

1. wirkku

wirkku New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Hello fellow members!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have couple of questions about jailbreaking with Redsn0w. I have iPod Touch 3G 8GB, MC Model 3.1.2 firmware.

I have read my own language forums and many people there have tried to jailbreak iPod Touch 3G 8GB MC Model 3.1.2 firmware with blackra1n.
    It worked for many, but not for all, it just got stuck in some point. But they could restore it.

1. So, why blackra1n worked for many people but not for all?

2. I have heard that Redsn0w is more stable. Is it? Is it better to use Redsn0w?

3. I have read iPod touch fans for ages. Everybody says that you can't brick iPod Touch. Is it really so, that I can't in ANY way brick my Touch when jailbreaking with Redsn0w?

4. If something screws, I just put it in DFU and restore?

5. Have you heard of anybody that Redsn0w failed for them?

6. When untethered jailbreak comes and I want to upgrade, I just restore to normal and then jailbreak my Touch with the new?

Sorry for the many questions, but I want to be sure. I am quite sure that if I would jailbreak it right now it would just work, but I want to be sure what I am doing.

Thanks!
  2. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1 I really don't know why it didn't work for some people

yeah redsn0w is more reliable and installs the afc2 thing needed to allow root access when using usb programs

Yeah, there is no way you can brick your ipod (but you have to know how to enter dfu mode) also it is very unlikely that either redsn0w or balckra1n would mess your ipod

Thats right, dont panic, and make sure you do dfu mode right

I dint hear anything, but hey nothing is 100% sure

that's right you restore your ipod to whatever firmware version the jaibreak uses i.e 3.2/4.0
  3. wirkku

wirkku New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Thanks for the very quick answer!

I have some apps and movies and music on my Touch. I have read that when using Redsn0w, you don't need to restore it first. So all my data remains in my Touch? Is there any bad things that could happen if I don't restore it first and then jailbreak?

I believe you, that I can't brick my Touch. But can you say why Touch is so secure?
  4. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah you can jailbreak without restoring, BUT it is faster if you restore i think. Just back up all your stuff to be safe

The reason why you cant brick you ipod, is of the way is built/designed in to be able to restore no matter what, also i believe it has a special chip dedicated to enter dfu mode
  5. wirkku

wirkku New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    The firmware needed for Redsn0w is the 2G firmware? 3G 8gb uses that because, it isn't really 3G? Is it like that? I know where to get the firmware, so no need to discuss about getting the firmware, because I know it isn't allowed.

And also I know that Redsn0w asks like this: Is your iPod, 2gen and MC model?
    I know that mine is MC, but Redsn0w says 2gen MC. Do I still answer YES? I have 3gen MC.

PS: Do you mean with this that I should restore: Just back up all your stuff to be safe...
  6. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah correct it is 2G 3.1.2 firmware
    yes you have a 2nd gen MC model
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    do you have a im adress msn or something, contact me if you need any help
  7. wirkku

wirkku New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Could you contact me with private message where is your msn adress so I can add you? I tried to send you private message where is mine, but it says in the sent items that I haven't send any messages. Thanks for all help!
  8. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i PMd you my msn
    did you get it?