Dos Box Emulator

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by thebible, Dec 8, 2007.

1. thebible

thebible New Member

is it possible i would like to play ski and other dos box games like lesuire suit larry lol duke nukem and jazz jackrabbit
  2. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

jazz!!!! That game was the sh*t
  3. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I already posted this in my other thread, but:

Possible, but impractical. You'd have to compile the BSD/Linux version of DOSBox yourself and also figure out how you're going to handle keyboard input effectively, both for typing and for gaming under it (such as would be possible or practical). I wouldn't count on any software-3D games working at full speed (Build-engine games, et al.) but you could probably play a great deal of the QVGA res games well enough, as long as you could work out a decent control scheme.

To add:

DOSbox does require a fair bit of horsepower. Even on my desktop computer, Build-engine games (Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage, etc.) run pretty slow at high resolutions (1024x768 or higher). Platformers, adventure games, most stuff designed pre-1994 should be fine. Anything newer and it gets dicey, especially if screen scaling is involved. The real question mark is game control. Without getting into emulating gameport joysticks, you'd have to default to keyboard control. You'd then have to represent, say, a few keys on-screen; WASD and/or or arrow keys, space, tab, plus a few others keys commonly used with games, and map them to keyboard input. QVGA games (320x200x256) should be easy to do in portrait mode with fully visible keys. VGA games (640x480x256) would have to be played in landscape and scaled down, which would require extra horsepower and translucent keys (ala the latest gpSPHone method).

For typing under DOSBox you could just call up the default Touch keyboard.

That's about the best I can come up with as far as a possible and usable emulator is concerned. But it would be possible.
  4. pathfinder

pathfinder New Member

Dosbox would be amazing.
    Right now I'm using scummVM, but there are certain other Adventure-Games (like Sherlock Holmes - The lost files) which are not supported by scummVM.
    So, I think DOSBox would be very convenient for games, which we can play with the mouse (like scummVM-supported Games)....
    Otherwise you could map some keyboard-buttons and place it in the display (like in GPsPhone)...
  5. thebible

thebible New Member

unfortunately im not a coder and dont know squat about it my interest is photoshop so we need to convince some one to make it
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Ask on the DOSBox forums. Perhaps someone there would be interested in attempting the port.