doom

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Touchnoob0211, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Right now there is only the main screen and demo for doom on ipot from what I know but just wondering.. Is it touch screen thats holding us back? Because its been on ipod linux in previous ipods. And also if we have no 3d graphics accelorator how did the monochrome screen mini play it?

Just curious, not dissing
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The iPod video had the benefit of physical controls -- both directionals, a fire button, and the scrollwheel to turn. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it works, if only just.

The Touch has no physical controls, and while you could conceivably map, say, some translucent buttons onto the screen (ala gpSPhone) there are just too many controls to make it entirely comfortable. Consider that, for a fully controllable Doom, you'd need:

- Movement controls (forward, backward, turn left, turn right, strafe left, strafe right. The last two could be replaced by a strafe modifier if need be, or omitted altogether if absolutely necessary.)

- Weapon controls (Fire, next weapon, previous weapon. You could omit previous weapon and just have the user do a loop cycle to choose weapons if you wanted to pare it down.)

- Inventory controls (Use, next item, previous item. Again, you could omit previous item.)

- Action controls (open door/press button, escape to menu)

At a bare minimum, you're looking at 10 on-screen buttons large enough to stab with a thumb.

The Touch does have one advantage though: Multitouch.

One potentially helpful method of control could be what is commonly used on PDAs: Stylus (or in this case, finger) control. Using this method, you could drag the finger around for forward/backward/left/right movement, and tap to fire. There's the possibility, thanks to multitouch, that you could do a two-finger strafe, but that might be difficult to manage while holding the Touch in your hands, since your fingers will be supporting the back of the unit. Just the same, this brings the number of necessary buttons down to 5, which would have to line the right side of the screen (since the left will be used for movement).

It's doable, but a little awkward.
  3. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

^What he said^

All I have to add is that Doom doesn't use 3D acceleration, it sorta uses "fake 3D"
  4. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i totally see/agree. That would be weird. And hard to make it so you would want to even play it.. Thats bummer. Doing it though translucent buttons aka gpsphone, make 2 circle like things on bottom left and bottom right with a button in the middle like 2 kinda small clickwheels.. I'll photoshop a picture sometime of it. But make right circle be directional buttons, and the button for opening doors. The left crcle for strafeing(however that's spelled) and the up and down on it for switching guns and the buton in middle for shootng. Picture soon.
  5. Assassin Sheepdog

Assassin Sheepdog New Member

I like the idea with the moving the finger across the screen and having the 5 buttons (2 buttons now) on the right side. That would prob work out pretty well. You could also control strafe by having the top half of the screen when swiped be for turning, and the bottom half be for strafe. You could use an up/down swipe on the lft side of the screen for weapon switching and using, and the right side w/ an up/down swipe for item switching and using.

This is a bit difficult to explain, so I shall make a picture of it. I will edit in 10 min w/ it.

EDIT:

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  7. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Those controls would have to be a bit larger though to make them comfortable to use. Also, there are no provisions there for inventory controls (select/use).
  8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Direction pad UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT (on the bottom left). SCROLL and TAP weapon select,(very thin and numbered 1,2,3,4,5,ext. along top or right side). menu button (on bottom far right) that doubles as toggle hold and use direction pad to toggle tap for menu) fire button (inner bottom right) the key is keeping the toggle and fire button close enough so you can move and still fire. also keeping the scroll and tap weapon select thin enough not to obstruct the view or maybe shake to activate.

Pass that around chew it. its tasty.

I really want this game on the touch.
  9. Assassin Sheepdog

Assassin Sheepdog New Member

the benefit of mine is that it only needs 2 buttons, which dont even need to be visible. if everything is divided up evenly, you would only need to memorize where everything is (which will pose a problem for newbies, but there could be an optional overlay). Plus, you could turn quickly when you want to check around corners and turn slowly when you want to be acurate. This would enhance gameplay [but prob cost in game speed]
  10. Jrman09

Jrman09 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think Touchnoobs' controls would work great....Simple provisions could be instead of having up and down for weapon switching just use up for "weapon switch forward" and down for "item switch forward" and add a small button in the corner of something to use item....and then DOOM!!!