Doom.app and Yeti3D comparison/rant/discussion

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by spinner, Mar 13, 2008.

1. spinner

spinner New Member

Okay, bear with me.....(yes AFX, I know I try your patience, but bear with me)

COMPARISON:

Yeti3d:

Graphics:

Actually pretty good. (kinda blocky, but hey, it's a 3d ipod game.)

Controlls:

Pretty decent, almost as good as gpsphone.app.

Stability:

Pretty freakin solid! I've never had it crash, not even once!

Overall enjoyment:

2 out of five. Low rating because it only has one level. Once you kill all the baddies, there's nothing left to do.

Doom:

Graphics:

Not great, not bad.

Controlls:

Absolute sh*t!

Stability:

About as stable as a cardboard box in a hurricane! Crashes all the time.

Overall enjoyment:

3 out of five. As much as it stinks, it's still awesome. (let the bodies hit the floor! let the bodies hit the floor!)

RANT:

Wtf is up with doom.app? I dunno crap about making games, but how freakin hard can it be to get some decent controlls and make it more stable? Yeti3d did it, why not doom? Arguably I should shut up since I can't do any better, but c'mon, it's time for an update! At least on the controlls if nothing else!

Discussion:

Well, post your comments and Doom.app/Yeti3d wishlists.
  2. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

Yeti 3d is a work in progress, the developer keeps updating it you need to keep checking back at his web site see

http://marcogiorgini.com/articoli.asp?art=112

Doom I would love to be working fully, but the simple fact is the developer who started the port of this game let it lapse and then someone else took over who got it running albeit it just about. Nothing more has happened since the semi working version either due to other projects with the developer or the simple fact he achieved his main goal - it works, Doom on the iphone/ipod touch - just not so great

http://code.google.com/p/iphonedoom/

If I had the time, ability and programing skill I would have tried to improve it myself, but as I have none of these I am stuck like the rest of us waiting for someone to pick up where it was left at and continue the project.
  3. spinner

spinner New Member

Yep, It's times like these when I wish I had 12 years of objective-c experiance under my belt. Ya know?
  4. sumter554

sumter554 New Member

i would play yeti 3d more if it had multi touch, and doom is impossible to play with those controls.
    doom port = gay

edit: wait, i just realized theres been an update to yeti3d so im gonna try it out right now.
    edit2: yea multi touch now, game is much easier to play. yay!
  5. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

man i just wish whoever was working on the doom port would continue. doom would be totally awesome on the ipod, especially if the author implemented multiplayer over wifi (of course with working controls first).

trust me man. once doom gets released with proper controls and bug fixes, even though it is an old game, its definetly going to dominate yeti3d. and if anyone ends up making a doom port with opengl support, then we're really getting somewhere (it was done on the axim x51v and looks and plays really good)
  6. MiG™

MiG™ New Member

12 years heh. As long as you know how to program and can be arsed to pick up the frameworks and obj-c then i suppose someone could fix it up pretty easily.

Sound is a different matter though. Always a pain in the ass with ports.
  7. R I O T

R I O T New Member

I don't get why you gave Doom a higher score over Yeti3D especially when you gave it such horrible reviews...

But whatever, Doom would be probably a better game (on the iPod Touch) with better controls...
  8. ipodminiman

ipodminiman New Member

I fully agree! Why does doom have a higher score! Doom would be a better game though.
  9. itouch myself

itouch myself New Member

when ever i try to play it i get just a black screen.
    im 1.1.4
    and ipac3d works fine (and is sweet)
  10. SheStoleMyBagel

SheStoleMyBagel Member

Honestly, I'm still wondering why Doom is so laggy. If the fifth generation iPods can all emulate Doom so well, why can't the touch?