Donating for Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Danls92, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This seems to be an issue that pops up everytime Zodttd or another developer releases a beta and asks for a donation. Droves of people too lazy or cheap to show their appreciation in return for getting access to software demand that it is their right to get everything for free, and ask for links.

From now on, if I see anybody claiming that they should get it for free and asking for links, I will infract them, and ban them if they do not stop.

Lets get something clear here people, you are not paying for the right to try software, you are thanking the developer for letting you have the software sooner. Eventually you will get the app for free, so you have no valid argument not to just wait. The devs don't need to release their betas, they are doing it as a favor and the least you can do is thank them.

If the cost to beta was something exorbitant such, like $100 I might be understanding, but Zod accepts any amount of money, not to mention a video of one of his apps or a control-pad for one of his emulators. You have no excuse for not donating other than laziness.

Also, people trying to scam others into posting links, such as by saying that asking for donations violates some agreement or another will be banned since they are knowingly asking for somebody to post illegal (yes, if the dev asks for something and you get it without paying/ giving that something it is illegal) content.
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I completely agree with you Dan, well written.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Thank you for putting this out there. zodttd, having spent a large portion of this/last year creating emulators for this community has every right to ask for a small donation to use his apps early.
  4. bindle

bindle Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    brilliant. i fully agree. i can't stand the whining over these issues.
  5. The Ax

The Ax Banned

Agreed,
    I once (durning development of my first app) asked for donations. But not for my profit, for the servers and such and then 2 days later was getting pms from people i didnt send it to
  6. lws

lws Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I appreciate your efforts! Thanks a lot!

My game will also be donationware, and I really hope people will support further development.
  7. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I donated $5 to Zod.
    Worth it

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I agree. Donating to developers of great apps is the best thing you can do to show your appreciation for there hard work.

What I don't agree with is people charging for there apps. Charging for an SDK app is one thing. Thats fine by me. Its charging for jailbreak apps that drives me nuts.

I would gladly donate to the developer of a great app. But pay for a jailbreak app never.

Lets say I do buy a jailbreak app. Now its that developers responsibility to make sure that app works with every update apple pushes out. Thats a huge challenge for a developer considering you never know what that update will bring. That app may not even work with the next update or the one after that and so on.

Charging people for an app that you have no idea if you will or even can continue to support is absurd. This is why people are cracking these apps and theres no way for the developer to stop it. Especially when those apps are on something they have no legal right to be on in the first place.

Im NOT talking about The big Z and his apps. I'm talking about apps like Kate, iphonevideorecorder, intrlliscreen and those alike. I wish more developers would take a note from Zodttd.