Does Wi-Fi kick the battery's ass?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hunid Racks, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Hunid Racks

Hunid Racks New Member

I was on Wi-Fi for about 2 hours yesterday, maybe 2 and a half. And The ads say it can play video for 5 hours and many reviewers said it was well over 6 hours. But yesterday after just over 2 hours surfing the web and checking stuff out my battery was already in the red giving me a low batt warning. Does Wi-Fi suck out the battery alot?
  2. xznkok

xznkok New Member

it should be, wifi does a large number of date transmission, you can check your itouch's flux in your router if you know how to do that (also you can use some other tools)
  3. Hunid Racks

Hunid Racks New Member

If I connect to wifi and put the ipod to sleep does it still stay connected and drain battery?
  4. ydoucare

ydoucare New Member

If it's not connected to your computer, it will disable WiFi during sleep mode. You can verify this by pinging it then putting it to sleep and watching your ICMP packets start dropping.

As for battery drainage, I notice the same thing. Only a few hours of browsing is about all the battery can handle.
  5. Gabe

Gabe Member

Device:
    iPhone
    If you just got your itouch a few days ago, try letting the battery run out all the way, and when it does, turn your itouch on and it will turn off, and do that about 10 times so you can suck as much battery out, then charge the itouch all the way back up without using it or anything, just let it charge all up without unpluging it.

Doing this is recommended for any device using lithium battery's. If you've been using your itouch for over a week its not going to do anything for you, its best to do this when you first get it if anything.

I squeezed a good hour of wifi battery usage doing this. I played about 100 song samples from itunes wifi and downloaded about 30 songs for almost 2 hours last night in bed, my battery dropped from fully charged to about 70%