Does Web Browsing on the iPod Touch use less bandwidth than normal computer browsing?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Noise..., Apr 7, 2009.

1. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have Verizon mobile broadband, which has a 5GB monthly limit. This sucks. Seriously.

This month, I'm at 4.10GB usage, and I still have 9 days until it resets. It will be even higher later, as I watched a bunch of vids on Youtube last night thinking it was only at 3GB usage. It just hasn't updated the usage yet today.

Now - will browsing on my iPod conserve bandwidth? I'd have to make an ad-hoc network for wi-fi from my notebook. Will I save any bandwidth, or probably not?

I have adblock running, if that makes a big difference.
  2. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you load the same pages that you load on your computer, then no.
    If you load "mobile" versions of the pages, then yes.
  3. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No; iPod has a full-featured browser.

Web Browsing shouldn't take up too much bandwidth. I wouldn't worry too much; just don't watch YouTube. Still ~900MB left.
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Nine days left and that many megabytes of data is plenty. This website is only about 200 kb large. For moderate web browsing, especially if you access sites like the mobile ESPN instead of the regular ESPN, you should be fine. But stay off of youtube!
  5. himynameisjuan

himynameisjuan Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you're that worried about going over, disable styles/formats and images in your desktop browser. Sure, every website would look like a bunch of text, but you're gonna be conserving bandwidth.

Please Register or Log in to view images