Does shuffle decrease the battery fast

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Inaska, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Inaska

Inaska New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have an ipod touch with is 3.1.2 jailbroken. Only about 2 months old and is a replacement for the broken ipod i sent to apple.
    I have roughly 1500 songs on it and have it on shuffle using all songs when i use it. I had it almost fully charged and use it for about 30 mins. I have the battery percentage and it went down to 49% in that half hour.
    Does having the ipod on shuffle using your entire library drain the battery fast? For organizing and choosing a random song to play and sort them.
  2. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yes but not by much
    the battery percentage may not be accurate
  3. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Is it that bad? I play my songs ONLY on Shuffle mode and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in battery life actually...

Although the battery did reach the 1/4 mark when I had the touch playing almost the whole day, connected to the car stereo's Aux slot (I went for a day trip out-of-town, on business)... The battery was fully charged in the morning though!

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yer its not that bad
    but it runs more proccesses
  5. Inaska

Inaska New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I figured out what cause it, i forgot to turn wifi off, and i don't get a good signal in my room so it must have kept trying to find it.
  6. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Shuffle mode is NOT random play mode. MobileMediaPlayer doesn't even support random play.

When you enter shuffle mode, MMP shuffles your music into a new playlist. Similar to shuffling a deck of cards. The songs/cards are mixed up, but still in a fixed order. Your device is doing no extra work in shuffle mode, as it's just playing the next song in the sequence regardless of what it is.

Random mode would be equivalent to picking a random card out of the deck when you want to change the track. This can be done, but not with any current API. And not with MMP.

So no. There is no possible way shuffle mode would decrease your battery any more than standard play mode.