Does restoring iphone delete unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hockey816, Oct 5, 2009.

1. hockey816

hockey816 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    my iphone is unlocked and jailbroken...if i restore my iphone will it get rid of the unlock. I got my phone from a friend, so im sure if he did it or got someone else to go it.. If i restore will the unlock be erased??
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If you do a factory restore you will lose the JB and the unlock. You will also lose the ability to unlock it if you update it (to 3.1).

To safely update it you need to update it to a custom firmware (currently only available via Pwnage Tool with a Mac). The custom firmware will "erase" (be sure to create a backup with iTunes to save all your info) your phone but it will be jailbroken and the you will still be able to unlock it (using Ultrasn0w).

Basically, don't do anything unless you are sure it is safe to do so.
  3. hockey816

hockey816 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    If my phone is jailbroken, then i want to update to 3.1, will i have any problem?
    Do i just click restore in itunes and thats it. Also i bought my phone off my friend so i dont know if its Rogers or Fido(Canada)..?
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

NO; Do not just click restore on iTunes; you will lose the unlock (and the ability to unlock, possibly forever).

To safely upgrade to 3.1 you need to use Pwnage Tool. I would suggest using this tutorial. If you are not comfortable with it I would wait: If you make a mistake you can lose the ability to unlock your phone.

If you are on a PC I would suggest waiting for Pwnage Tool to be released for Windows. There is a way around that but it takes some work.
  5. Jadrien Bohnenkamp

Jadrien Bohnenkamp New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    i would just wait until the new redsn0w is released for windows. so dont update or u will lose the jailbreak and the unlock