Does overheating damage a GPU's performance?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by iPwn, Jun 30, 2010.

1. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    In one of my computers, I have this nVidia GeForce 8600GT 512 MB GDDR2. When idling, it stays between 65-75 degrees. during a graphically intensive game for like 5 minutes, the core temperature can reach slightly over 100 degrees Celcius. even after an hour though, it stays at those temperatures.

The card in theory should be able to handle temperatures under 105 degrees celcius. I know my temperatures are wayyy above the recommended temperatures, but as long as the temperatures stay below the 105 degree threshold the card can sustain no permanent damage right?

Or am I wrong and my GPU is completely dead? And if there is damage, does it affect the performance and FPS in games?
  2. Rukk

Rukk Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Get a better fan!

I know that overtime a CPU that heats will lose performance. I believe it's the same for a GPU...
  3. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    But how long is "over time"? Like will it still last 1-2 years without crapping out?
  4. Rukk

Rukk Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well it depends. If you're a hardcore gamer and your graphic card is at 100+°C 10 hours a day it might not survivre 2 years. However, if you can get a better fan I'm pretty sure it will last for a long time. Sometime, only removing the panels of your computer will greatly decrease temperature. You can always put a small fan that you'd use on a desk to cool down your computer (after removing the panels, of course).

I know I burned a (very) old graphic card when Warcraft III came out. Good times

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    lol I'm no hardcore gamer. I occasionally play MW2 and NFS a few days a week for 30 min to 1 hour each time. The temps do go over 100 degrees though. I used to open my case and stick an fan next to it but that was in my old computer. This computer is much newer but I out a new GPU in. I don't want to keep the case open on a new product.
  6. Rukk

Rukk Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hmm that's weird. I used to play a lot of MW2 on my LAPTOP (nVidia 8600M GT) and the temp never went as high as you.

MW2 isn't a game that requires a lot... your graphic card shouldn't heat that much.
  7. Led

Led Banned

I had an 8600gt and the temps were around 70C idle. I think it's just a sh*tty card.
  8. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Yeah well I play it with 1440 by 900 and 4x AA and max textures and settings. It does lag a bit.

EDIT: I've been playing around with SpeedFan and RivaTuner and I have found that turning my case fan speed up to 75% (~it says 16,000 RPM), and my GPU fan up to 100% keeps my gpu temperature at around 65-66 degrees celcius idling and under load it reaches 94 degress, even after overclocking it.

94 is probably ok right? at least it isn't close to its max of 105. without the overclock it stays near 91.
  9. Rukk

Rukk Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah that should do if you don't mind the noise of the fans

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What the hell? 75 IDLE?

My 9500 was like 40 Idle...