Does jailbreaking an ipod touch make it less functional?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by ilikeguitar90, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ilikeguitar90

ilikeguitar90 New Member

• Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and had a question about jailbreaking. I'm going to buy a 16GB ipod touch tomorrow and am planning on jailbreaking it, but I'm reading all over the net that some people's jailbroken ipods seem to break down after anywhere from 3-6 months, and they are blaming it on the jailbreaking.

So my question is, does jailbreaking really mess with the stability of the ipod touch in the long run? I like free apps just as much as the next guy, but I don't want to damage my ipod touch in the long run because of it

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT: Oh, and when I buy it tomorrow, what do I need to do with the ipod to get ready for the jailbreak? Can I just go straight ahead and put redsn0w on the ipod, or are there things I'll have to do first to ensure that redsn0w works before running it? I'm a complete noob so any help is appreciated!

Thanks
  2. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    on the contrary, jaailbreaking makes it more functional, with the ability for themes and useful apps for cydia. On the long run, if it breaks down, 90% of the time it is due to the fact that you have done something wrong, and if something happens,you will always have DFU+Restore

As for the 'free apps' comment, from what i gather you mean piracy, and this is very frowned upon in this community
  3. ilikeguitar90

ilikeguitar90 New Member

Oh, my mistake then. I thought the point of jailbreaking was just to be able to customize your ipod touch more, as well as get any app for free though

4. Dixi789

Dixi789 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, the main idea for jailbreaking was to give you full control over your device, as well as the iPhone unlock when that came out. It is not to get free apps, as it is possible, but most of the people here won't do it, and discussing it will usually result in an infraction or ban on these forums.
  5. ilikeguitar90

ilikeguitar90 New Member

Oh I see...Well how about getting 3rd party apps? Is that also generally frowned upon?
  6. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Getting 3rd party apps from Cydia is smiled upon.

But getting Apps that should be payed for, for free is frowned upon.

I for one am against piracy but if you are for it good for you just dont talk about it here.
  7. matt1308-

matt1308- Banned

actually it makes it more functional, and i guess oyu could think of it as being easier to make a mistake (eg. incorectly editing system files etc.) but even if you do decide to muck around with your ipod a little, if a problem occurs with your ipod there's more chance of you being able to fix it if it's jailbroken.

and yes, do not discuss illegal. pirated applications, or any material of the sort on this forum.
    though 'the_dark_side_of_pod'; the OP never said anything about pirated apps, just free applications (which i might remind you are obtainable through Cydia, etc.)
    but your intention was still clear and i suggest you read the rules before you continue posting, thank you.
  8. ilikeguitar90

ilikeguitar90 New Member

Ah sorry my bad guys. I guess I'll just stick to 3rd party apps and Cydia then

9. FailSafeIsntSafe

FailSafeIsntSafe New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The only 'less functionality' is less memory. YOu have like sbsettings goin on n such along with push, so you have a bit less memory to use
  10. Armerad

Armerad New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    But whenever you really need every drop of RAM, you can use SBSettings to go into safe mode for maximum RAM potential.