Does jailbreak require a working screen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dan_m2k, Jul 6, 2010.

1. dan_m2k

dan_m2k New Member

Hi guys--

My car comes with a hidden iPod dock in the glovebox, which allows the car to play off the docked iPod controlled through the stereo.As it has some limitations as to the number of playlists it can play, my 160gb ipod is a bit clumbersome to use with it.

So I'm considering an iPod touch, jailbroken, with wifi sync to allow me to manage it's playlists remotely when the car is within range of the wireless network.

As it will never be used as a conventional iPod and any admin will be done through iTunes, I was looking at getting one with a non functional screen off e-bay to save cash.

My question is, does anyone know if jailbreaking requires a working screen or is it all done through the machine it's plugged into?

Also, does anyone know when the iPod touches changed charging voltage (my car will charge my iPod classic but not my iPhone). Not a deal breaker but if I knew a specific generation would also charge then more the better!

TIA, Dan.
  2. Depends which software you are jailbreaking with, but the current iPod Touch's aren't able to be jailbroken yet.
  3. djspan

djspan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Bad news, you will need a screen to set up cydia at least. SSH would not be possible until you had installed it from cydia- and you would have to setup cydia i.e. reorganise and choose dev, usr etc. Also if you are planning on USB tunnelling to set up then you will have no such luck either because you need to install afc2add from cydia which adds the deamon as spirit doesn't install this by default.

Hope this helps,

Dan
  4. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you won't have a screen, what would the use of Jailbreaking be for you anyway?

TO answer your question, you won't need a screen to jailbreak the iPod, assuming your car will show the music details on your dash (as in it doesn't just have an AUX input) you should be good to go.
  5. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    "So I'm considering an iPod touch, jailbroken, with wifi sync to allow me to manage it's playlists remotely when the car is within range of the wireless network."

Learn to read.
  6. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The new iTunes will allow WiFi sync anyway, ergo, no need for it to be Jailbroken.

Surprisingly enough, I can already read. I also manage to enthuse my post with civility, maybe you could learn that.
  7. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Stop the fighting kiddies.
    And to answer the question, you don't need a screen, but it isn't much to get the LCD and digitizer repaired.
  8. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    you could get one to save money, but i would reccomend one with a working screen just in case you realize how much more the touch can do