Does it stay unlocked when I restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oliver Barker, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey. Sorry about this frankly nobody post but i've never needed to unlock my iPhone until I give it to my dad.

I'm on 4.0.1 on a iPhone 3GS unlocked with ultrasn0w. If i restore do i lose the unlock?? Under what conditions would i lose the unlock. I need to know cause i might have to restore soon and something might happen causing me to update to 4.0.2. Which is fine as long as my phones unlocked.

Many thanks for any positive response!
    Ollie.
  2. Mocki

Mocki New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, if by unlock you mean that you lose your jailbraek
    then yes. With restoring your jailbreak comes off too.
  3. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You lose your unlock when you restore, as the soft unlock needs a jailbreak. You'll have to reinstall ultrasn0w again after you jailbreak to get the unlock back
  4. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Alright thanks Bobby. Mocki, I'm not an idiot. I know restoring loses a jailbreak. I thought the tone of my first sentence conveyed that i know a lot about jail breaking but not about unlocking since I haven't needed to until now.
  5. Sparkyx

Sparkyx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Don't restore to 4.0.2...there are plenty of guides that will show you how to restore back to 4.0.1...check your recycle bin/trash
  6. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Reread my first post several times.
  7. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    YES you will loose the unlock, unless you restore to custom fw created by pwnage tool, but only devices with old bootrom are able to do so

Also 4.0.2 updated the base-band, so even if you jailbreak after the restore you wont be able to unlock until someone finds an exploit for 4.0.2 baseband which would most likely be released with fw 4.1 or 5.0
    Update: You wont be able to jailbreak at all 4.0.2 if you have a 3GS with new bootrom

If the SHSH 4.0.1 certificates of the iPhone 3GS are saved, then you will be able to restore to 4.0.1 jailbreak and unlock once again
  8. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ^^ great thanks. It's just I've had trouble in the past with cydia saying it has my shsh backed up and it didn't!

Please Register or Log in to view images

^^
  9. billyp1960

billyp1960 New Member

Did you make sure to change that one file in your System32 folder to make your iTunes verify the restore with Sakurik?