Does iPhone use wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cris6139, Jun 16, 2008.

1. cris6139

cris6139 New Member

I know that alot of phones offer online data plans, so i was wondering if iPhone was like this or if it just has wifi. If that is the case, could i just buy an iphone but just use it like an ipod touch without getting a bill for using wifi?
  2. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    wow..

anyway, yes, you can use wifi on iphone, its just that wifi is usually limited to a certain place (home, workspace, etc.) 3G or EDGE can connect you from anywhere, but its slower than wifi.
  3. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

don't be so mean touchhacker101 its just a question

and yes the iphone uses wifi. you can turn off 3g if youd like and use wifi (btw 3g is almost as fast as wifi). But i see no point since 3g is very fast almost as fst as wifi. But if you are in a hotpsot and want even faster internet then sure use wifi
  4. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yep it can use wifi as well as edge/3g. i dont know much about the iphones plan, but if have to pay per minute on the internet this could save you some money.
  5. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The point is, not getting a massive phone bill for 3G internet when a Wi-Fi hotspot is available.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i wasnt trying to be mean. yeah i guess i was a little. sorry man
  7. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

Although if you have an unlimited data plan for 3g or Edge then you don't have to worry about how much you use. But if data is not in your contract (ie you have the device Jailbroken and are using your own sim) then unless you pay extra for the unlimited data then normally they charge per MB, which is often around £3 or $6 (just a rough average feel free to post your own values) - this means you can spend as long online as you like but the amount of data your transfer brings the big bills! Most mobiles with internet do not show graphics just text so transfer very little data - the iPhone allows full internet with graphics which eats up MB for fun - you could spend 10 minutes viewing only a few websites and get through 5mb of data (£15 or $30) - If you want mobile internet you need an unlimted data account otherwise don't have it activated.
  8. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Good advice, thanks.
    I might end up getting the 3G, and i am pretty new to mobile web.

9. cris6139

cris6139 New Member

Yea, I know I am kinda dumb when it comes to the iPhone....lol. It's probably a very dumb question with an obvious answer. I just didn't know the answer. Thanks for answering me though.
  10. cris6139

cris6139 New Member

and I'm a woman, not a man. haha