Does holding the jailbreak seem sort of... useless?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shortperson1026, Apr 1, 2010.

1. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

Personally, I think so.

Its been 7 months and we finally have an untethered exploit (which apparently can be patched)

Sure, we could wait for other devices to be released and hope it works, but if it can be patched so easily, do we really think Apple would pass that by?

I think that the untethered jailbreak should just be released, then us iPod touch 3G users can enjoy our untethered jailbreak for 5 more months until it's time for an upgrade.

I think Jailbreaking a device as soon as possible would be better, as exploits can just be patched out.

Even now, Apple has stepped up their game. If an untethered bootrom exploit discovered on the iPod Touch 3G worked on the iPad, do you think Apple would simply keep producing the iPad with the same exploit?

Of course not.

They would simply patch the bootrom, and flash that to the newly produced iPads, just as they did with the iPhone 3GS.

If it was indeed a bootrom exploit we were dealing with here, I wouldn't be so eager to have the untethered jailbreak, as it could probably be saved for the next generation iPod Touch and iPhone, so we could have untethered for a full year without any wait, but it's userland which could be fixed in a snap.

Just my thoughts, feel free to elaborate.
  2. Coca Cola

Coca Cola Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I've said this before, it is extremely likely they patched it in Beta 6 3.2.. Not April fools -.-
  3. metroplex

metroplex New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    i agree
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    i thought there was no beta 6? that it was a april fools joke?
  4. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

They did remove the story from the front page... probaby WAS an April fools joke, but that still doesn't mean they aren't going to patch it.

Comes said himself it was userland and could be patched.
  5. Aryanenzo

Aryanenzo New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    who cares just release it for 3.1.3 users for now...

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. metroplex

metroplex New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    well yeah if it's userland it's easy to patch, jailbreakme went down instantly once they found out about that exploit... sad day for all..
  7. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    NO NOT AT ALL
    Holding to the exploit is very important even more know, that we know the exploit is in fact software based

IT will really be a waste to release an untethered jailbreak for such an useless/featureless firmware as 3.1.3

I we waited 7 months already, 2/3 more months is not gonna kill anybody, its not like you gonna die without the jailbreak

in the next 2/3 months there are very imporrtant releases: ipad,fw 3.2/4.0,g4 iphone. It will be wiuse to hold on to it until then
  8. ownerofspam

ownerofspam Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It has to do with this:

Untethered is a waste of an exploit at this point.

We got blackra1n after the new touches came out, and they used a exploit that required a tethered jailbreak. After this, there was no longer a reason to look for another exploit, as we had one that worked well and didn't need to be worked on.

Why is this one untethered? Simply because the exploit itself, is untethereable. It has to do with the exploit itself, not the way they use it. Since blackra1n was released for speed instead of quality, he used a Tethered, and to save exploits everybody stopped development on other exploits to make the exploit used by blackra1n work.

Nobody cared to make a exploit for 3.1.3, so nobody did. If they did, it would be one of the new untethered ones.

Then with the release of ipad nearing, interest grew again and these new jailbreaks came out. They are untethered because the exploits themselves are able to be untethered. So we can wait.
  9. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    and you know this, how?
    the chances of apple patching a exploit they know nothing about is very unlikely
  10. Coca Cola

Coca Cola Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You didn't quote understand me. Apple is not 1 hobo from a garbage can patching explois. It's highly qualified people, you honestly think they can't find a userland exploit.