docking connector idea... searched

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by beachbumberry, Mar 11, 2008.

1. beachbumberry

beachbumberry New Member

ok, so i am trying to wire a docking connector so that it will line out and charge from my car while playing through the adapter box i managed to find. correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that i need the general ground, one or both of the 12 volt powers, both lineouts (one going left one going right) and the general linout ground going to both? so basically it would look like this.

pin 15-grounded
    pin 27-left
    pin 28-right
    pin 29- split to meet both 27 and 28

would i use pin 30 as the ground instead of 15? or would i use 16 instead?
    would i use pin 8 as my DC charge power coming from the car?

wiring diagram i used is at http://www.ipodlinux.org/Dock_Connector

any help is greatly appreciated
  2. beachbumberry

beachbumberry New Member

this is what i need to make. any ideas? i can't find anyone who sells them anymore

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. vipfreak

vipfreak New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a Griffin itrip auto (fm transmitter) that would solve your problems. It charges while it plays.
  4. wardak

wardak New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You might want to research the idea a little more first. Hopefully im wrong, but from what I have read, it sounds like the firewire connection no longer exists on the ipod and some people have had bad experiences of the ipod getting hot using old chargers on the ipod which use the firewire pins. And car power output is unregulated and can have a pretty large range which might not be good.

At the same time, the ipod touch has a tendency to not like to charge from USB idle power (usb without data). I know thats a problem because I usually like charging my USB devices while my computer is off since my ports stay active.

Oh I used the diagram from pinouts.ru for the pinout, sometimes seeing other diagrams can be helpful. I think if you really wanted to try that idea with power you would be using pin30 (firewire ground) for power ground.