iOS 4.0 Do you like folders?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by deleted account, Jul 18, 2010.

1. OK I looked for it on here but haven't fond anything like this yet so here it goes. Everyone knows (at least I hope so) that a folder can hold 12 apps. But when you close a folder, on the screen it only shows 9 apps. So I only ever put 9 apps to a folder so I can see everything in them without having to open it up to see the other 3 that are hidden. I curious to see if other people do this too.
  2. sicksnowboarder23

sicksnowboarder23 Member

Device:
    iPad
    I just name my folders so I know whats in them
  3. smwoodcrafts

smwoodcrafts Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    What's the big deal with not seeing what's in a folder? You don't see everything that's in a folder on a computer. Give the folder a descriptive name you should know what's in it. I would like to put more than 12 apps in a folder.
  4. #1 iPad Fan

#1 iPad Fan New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Their pretty good.

On the iPad there will be more than 12 allowed most definitely.
  5. arsenal1312

arsenal1312 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    exactly. it's the name of the folder that helps to distinguish the content of one folder to another
  6. I do name my folders. I have lots of racing games so I just make a folder called racing games.

It's just the way I am. I like to see whats in a folder before I open it. I've put 12 apps in a folder before but just don't like that it hides the other 3 thats in it. I'm just curious to see if other people do this to or if it's just the way I do things.
  7. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    have different names for them, separate them within the genre
  8. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have a few folders just named Games, a couple named Apps, one named Social, and one named Music.

I just remember which apps are where. Not hard when it's all alphabetized.
  9. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I like folders, but there are a few things about them that irritate me.

The biggest issue is having to do that extra tap and wait those few extra milliseconds before you can launch an app, or close a folder. This may sound petty, but when you're in a rush, it really gets to you.

Next, as mentioned in the OP, is the 3x3 (9 icon) display on the icon, but the 4x3 (12 icon) display within the folder. This irks me. I don't mind not being able to see all the icons, but one would expect that the 1st app icon on the 2nd row of the folder icon would correspond to the app icon position within the icon, but it's not so. It's natural for the human body to map positions subconsciously and expect that correspondence, so it's annoying when I open a folder and the icon is not where I expect it to be. And now, even after 2 weeks, I'm still not used to it. It needs to be fixed, but sadly I currently have no suggestion for a better solution.

As for the hassle of folder names, none of my folders have a name.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have only one page of icons, the one in my dock contains common apps, the first three on the page are games (1st: Shooters, Racing, and tild games, 2nd: Strategy and Tower Defence, 3rd: everything else) and the fourth is everything else (mostly Utilities).

Attached Files:

10. See what I mean just look at Silentwalker's homescreen his folders unopened only show 9 apps in them but when you open them it shows all 12 apps. I'm just picky that way.