Do You Comment Your Code?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Steaps, Oct 26, 2009.

?

Do you comment your code?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. Sometimes / Somewhat

39.4%
  3. Nope

24.2%
  1. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just curious, do you comment your code?
  2. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I try to do as much as possible (especially when in team projects) time wasted figuring what is going on could be used doing something useful.
  3. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, in team code, it's basically necessary.
  4. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I do somewhat, because that is what I was taught in my computer programming class.
  5. cOde0010Joy

cOde0010Joy Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    i don't code iPhone apps, but when i program, i try my best to put comments. It helps a lot when keeping track of things rather than tracing it all over again. Plus, when its a team project, its important for other members to at least get a hint on what that certain code segment does when reviewing it. When referring to programs i have done long ago, comments usually help make me understand it faster. It helps in debugging too!
  6. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I comment

Please Register or Log in to view images

because i have to remind myself what i was doing with my code. lol.
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Commenting is very important for team projects, as mentioned above, as well as personal things - After staying up until 3-4 AM the previous night coding, upon reviewing the code later, you may think to yourself WTF is this. Commenting is a good habit and its best to do it while writing the code, not afterwards, as that way it is less of a chore, and it can slow down/organize your thought process which can cut down on time wasted debugging code with silly errors.

To put it simply, just do it.
  8. muhu

muhu Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Absolutely. It only takes a few conditionals and loops before I start to lose track of where I am at. Most of the stuff I code is open source and made for the benefit of others anyway.

Commenting helps out all parties involved. It is one of the first things taught in a programming class. Though I will never get used to flow-charts. Blegh.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

If you don't comment, you're a fool. Team projects aside, when you go back to your code months later, without comments, you will need to figure out what it does. It's an enormous time waste to not comment code.

That said, I don't. I tend to use descriptive code. ex, [PTColor darkenColor:aColor byFactor:factor]; Although that is never a good enough excuse to not comment. The truth is that when I get coding, I want to finish the current method and add code later. I almost never go back and add comments.

Exceptions where I almost always comment include places where the I could very easily get mixed up. Most notably, when using switches to handle the button presses on UIAlertViews. I always comment which branch is the "Okay," and which branch is "Cancel." //Or whavever other options the alert may have.
  10. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    did you just call yourself a fool?