Do we still need Cydia or Installer now that we have .IPA files?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by jdawson, Jul 30, 2008.

1. jdawson

jdawson New Member

Before you jump to say YES we still need them, I am asking a question because over the last 4 days the world has changed a little.

We now have a method by replacing a file inside /System/Library/PrivateFrameWorks/MobileInstallation.framework that allows us to install files DRM free .IPA files. Right from iTunes 7.7.

So would / could that not now allow us to install non app store apps the same way and do all the install and uninstall via iTunes?

Now I know you still need to have a jailbroken device and SSH into the device to replace the file in the MobileInstallation.framework. But once that is done wouldn't we now have a way to allow us to install apps closer to the way it is done via the iTunes store?

If we could that could allow us to break free of the limited amount of space in the /Applications directory and talk about having some larger apps via the open source world.

Maybe we will also see the ability for an on-line installer that allows you to download .IAP files via the web and places them in iTunes. That then linked in with an installer style app that Installs apps onto the device and allow you to easy uninstall like app store apps.

Just a thought...
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

It could possibly, but I believe people enjoy doing it directly from their iPod, with no need for a computer.

I mean, if a repo came out that hosted cracked apps, I'd rather enjoy doing that than synching cracked IPA's.

Also, you might want to take down some of that stuff about how to patch MobileInstallation in order to use cracked IPA's, you might get banned.
  3. Weip

Weip New Member

Well, I'll still use cydia/Installer to customize my iPod, but there is no need to use it for games or apps since we can get EVERYTHING from AppStore.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Fail. There are HUNDREDS of good apps/games that are only on installer/cydia, and some are free rather than costly, so there. And emulators.
  5. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

emulators suck in comparison to free crash bandicoot, monkey ball, enigmo e.t.c
  6. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

This is gonna get closed. Everyone stop talking about piracy.
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    not neccessarily. u can play all time classics like mario or metroid on emulators

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Omg, are you serious? Emulators are one of the main reasons to jailbreak, according to MOST jailbreakers. They may not be as good quality, but a load of choice. The way your saying it makes it sound like you don't think people care about emulators.
  9. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, emulators were basically my main reason for jailbreaking
  10. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

Damn you and your catchy avatar. Everytime I see it i need to stare at it. I HATE YOU!