Do screen protectors lower retina display quality?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lazer155, Sep 20, 2010.

1. lazer155

lazer155 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I just received my iPod touch 4 today and so far it seems great.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I also bought a mirror type screen protector. My question is if I put the screen protector on will the retina display look bad? I would hate to waste a screen protector. Have you guys noticed any major lose of quality after applying a screen protector?
  2. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

umm im gonna think that mirror screen protectors will kinda make the retina look a little less attractive i wouldve got clear
  3. lazer155

lazer155 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hmm true I wasnt thinking about the mirror protector causing problems when I bought it. Has anyone tried a mirror protector specifically? Does the iPod touch screen scratch very easily? I know the back does.
  4. mush

mush Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    since u bought it already, just put it on and see how it looks... it probably wont mess with the screen

only screen protectors that might distort the screen is matte styled ones
  5. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The glare resistant, matte screen protectors will distort the screen as another member posted, but so will the mirrored ones. The mirrored ones look amazing when the iPod is off, but they cause you to drain battery faster due to you having to turn the brightness up to make up for the mirror. I just wouldn't recommend them unless you always have your brightness on max anyways.
  6. Toasty Bread

Toasty Bread Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Aww, man! I just ordered a mirror screen protector, and am very picky about da battery life.

7. lazer155

lazer155 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah I just found that out afer installing it as the other member said. The retina is not so amazingly bright any more. Kind of disappointing. But it's fine I think I will get used to it. I'll find a clear matte cover eventually. I had a matte on my iPod touch 3rd gen and I think I look that look better butthe mirror protector does look amazing when the screen is off.
  8. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

Oh, and I forgot to answer one of your questions. The iPods screen doesn't easily scratch. Its the back you gotta worry about. But even so, I feel better with a screen protector.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the mirror. Sorry

Maybe you can give it to somebody, or just use it until you can get a regular screen protector.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Don't get matte. Does the same thing, without the benefit of the cool looking mirror. Just get a regular clear screen protector, not the glare free ones.
  9. lazer155

lazer155 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That's good to know. I thought it was really easy to scratch like the back. It's fine I probably would have by it on anyways because I am paranoid about scratches and I could always take it off if I wanted the screen to look better. I'll try the plain clear one eventually, I've never used one if those before only matte. The screen still looks better than my 3rd gen did "smoothness" wise with the tiny pixels and I haven't had any problems with the viewing angle being less than the iPhone.
  10. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is mirrored screen protectors make the screen dimmer so you will have to prolly have to turn the brightness up which in return decreases battery life.