Do NOT pay the $18 upgrade fee!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iforget, Jun 24, 2010.

1. iforget

iforget Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    If you upgraded and were charged that fee (even if it doesn't appear on your bill until your next billing cycle), pick up your iPhone right now and dial AT&T: 1-800-331-0500

I couldn't remember the $18 fee being very well posted during my preorder process, so my representative waived the fee based on me not having prior knowledge of the fee before I purchased the phone in store. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it seems like that's how they're able to waive the fee. I didn't really want to mess around with a supervisor by getting into more detail, so I let that go because I honestly don't remember the $18 upgrade fee being very obvious (no mention in the Apple emails and such--perhaps the average customer would be surprised!).

She noted on my account that I was unaware of the fee and that she had explained it to me, so it would apply in the future.

I wasn't having any of that.

I went on a courteous rant about the thousands I'm shelling out to AT&T and how I didn't like getting charged a fee when I'm nice enough to sign another two year contract so I can continue doing so. She remarked that the equipment is extremely expensive, and that I paid a subsidized price. Of course I understood that, so I said that I knew AT&T would recoup their investment without a random $18 tacked on. She said she understood my side as a customer and also noted my displeasure with the fee in general on my account. The $18 fee and a -$18 charge will appear on my next billing cycle.

LONG STORY SHORT: Don't pay this ridiculous upgrade fee. Do you ask someone for more money when they promise to pay you $X00+ every month over the next two years? Absolutely not.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Sourced from "Jon" in "LifeClever's" comments:
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    While I also agree that it's there purely for profit, you must keep in mind this is AT&T.

That's just what they do, unfortunately.
    And if you don't pay your bills you will have problems.
  3. iforget

iforget Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I agree about the bills part, which is why I'd rather spend hours on the phone than just not pay something I agreed to pay. If I were a stronger man, I would take this "principle of the thing" as far as text messaging and such (I brought up how much I pay for texting, which costs AT&T virtually NOTHING, as an example of how they'd make their money back). But as I'm a weakling, I'm taking my stand with this little fee instead--but you should too, at the very least!

4. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hmm, Apple and AT&T sound like the worst companies in the world.
  5. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    to be completely honest, although its extremely unfair. you are dishing out "thousands" whats another 18 dollars?

Not that I disagree with you fighting the fee, its great you were able to get it removed, just making a point =D
  6. iforget

iforget Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Heh, it goes back to that principle of the thing I was talking about earlier

And honestly, $20 is a LOT of money to me. I may have a vice (indulging in overly expensive gadgets), but I don't try to throw money away.
  7. OSXKID

OSXKID Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Just tried it. Didn't fly with the rep. She said the $18 fee was mentioned during the terms and conditions during the purchase from Apple. I was not gonna make a fuzz about it.
  8. DarkAura17

DarkAura17 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You know the OP started another thread about this. No need to bump year old threads, optimus prime.

9. acfman17

acfman17 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Might be fraud if people know about it and say they don't(although I doubt anybody at Apple would care)