Do I wait for the 4g? If I need to jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by VooDooCC, Aug 18, 2010.

1. VooDooCC

VooDooCC New Member

I'm going on vacation September 16, and wanted to get an ipod, jailbreak, and use it as a gps. Looking around, ROQYBlueTooth seems like the way to go for that.
    Anyway, on to the question...Do I wait for the 4g to come out, or should I get a 3g so I know I have it and its jailbreakable and working right?
  2. Akskater009

Akskater009 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Regardless, I don't believe an iPod Touch has a GPS chip inside. It just bases it on wifi.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the iPhone and iPad 3G have it.
  3. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Just use an app to give you directions before you leave then follow them while you're traveling. Done that many times.
  4. cullenmq

cullenmq New Member

i am pretty sure ipod 2g has a locate device on it because if you go to maps it will find your place
  5. Purgatory

Purgatory New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    unless you have mobile hotspot, gps will be useless on the road. I would def wait for 4g to come out and just print out directions from google maps
  6. VooDooCC

VooDooCC New Member

I'm going to use a usglobalsat 359c that's why I mentioned about the roqybluetooth in the first post
  7. VooDooCC

VooDooCC New Member

Anyone?? Forget that I'll be using it as a gps, just that I need an Ipod for the trip and it has to be jailbroken, should I wait for a 4g?
  8. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    don't wait because even if the 4g is released by then, there is a very slim chance that it will be jailbroken yet.
    I would buy a used one off of ebay or something.
  9. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes you are right. Only thing is that you need to have internet access all the time to make sure that function works.
  10. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You'll regret not getting a 4G. Trust me on this one. Don't buy one yet. You'll need a laptop to charge it anyway (via USB because believe it or not, for all that money you spend, you're not getting an AC charger).

If you plan on bringing along a laptop/netbook/whatever, know that you can plan the route at home using Google Maps.

A jailbreak will come eventually. Bring a book instead. Enjoy your vacation. I know I didn't even have time to read the one I brought along last time.