Do I need to protect the front?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jackfranklin, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jackfranklin

jackfranklin New Member

I installed the invisbleShield yesterday, and some how under the front cover there are loads of crappy marks, like hairs, and random black dots on the screen (pretty sure they are not dead pixels - flippin hope not!) so I'm wondering wether to just take off the front, I've heard the screen is scratch proof, and I have an iPod Sock to use to help out a little, what do people think?
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    It is very much NOT scratch proof. Use something!
  3. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'd keep it as well protected as you can!
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I have used screen protectors.

NONE have been cut exactly to size and it pisses me off... It leaves air bubbles around the home button.
    But it does the job..
  5. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    yup its scratchable
    ive got me a bse and it helps alot
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Head down to the Apple store. Take a look at their iPhones and iPod Touches.

That can be a scale of how durable the screen is. Seeing as it gets roughed up day in and day out.
  7. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

The iPod Touch's screen is made of glass which is highly scratch resistant. The only thing capable of scratching glass is diamonds, sand, and glass itself. The front doesn't need protection unless you have diamonds in your pocket.
  8. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    My home button is a little scuffed up and a small portion of the screen is so I would keep it protected.
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

... and of course, sand is never found anywhere outside the desert, and never blows into anything - much less pockets. And I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell you for cheap.

Rule of thumb - there are no ideal situations and environments, and the iPod screen will eventually scratch due to an accidental encounter with keys or sand or something sharp and abrasive that makes its way onto its screen unless you use it ONLY in a cleanroom and never, ever touch it. It's merely a matter of how scratched-up it gets and where the scratches are. The ones in the Apple Store don't get exposed to the outside, which you probably will be, which means they're not as easily damaged... and on top of that, every day you have at least one Associate using Apple Polish or something else on them to clean the screen, if not using something else to buff out any imperfections so they look good.

I'd suggest a screen protector for the same reason I'd suggest getting insurance for a car - you hope you never need it, but all it takes is one thing going wrong for you, and it's best to have it there... rather than finding out, too late, you needed it after all.
  10. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

Good points, but I know my screen will remain scratch free because I'm not around areas with excessive sand like a beach. Also before I use the microfiber cloth to clean my iPod Touch's screen I blow real hard on the screen and the cloth to get rid of fine particles. Metal cannot scratch glass so you can throw your iPod touch in a pocket with a set of keys and not have to worry about a thing but the back of the iPod Touch will be scratchmania. Also if Apple used a polish for the iPod Touch screens than thats because they don't want there devices looking like a finger print, smudge machine. You can't easily buff scratches off of glass if by any chance someone took a diamont or glass to the Apple store and went crazy on the screen. A screen protector is unnecessary.

What you will read below will make you think you've wasted money...

Why in all these invisible screen protector videos like the Zagg Invisible shied they always show someone taking a key and scratching the "BACK" of the iPod knowing that the back of the iPod will scratch just by looking at it. The companies obviously know the screen for the iPod Touch and iPod Nano will not scratch with keys, safety pins, knifes, razors, etc. So they never show you a video scratch test of a bare "FRONT" iPod Touch screen vs a screen with the invisible shield installed. Unless you are afraid of the back scratching which really doesn't matter than go spend $25.