Do I need a new LCD?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by seneye, Jun 2, 2010.

1. seneye

seneye New Member

My friend gave me his ipod touch.. its second generation... he said it was in his bag and his AXE can leek on it and it got inside. He said it worked fine but he could see liquid behind the screen so he attempted to take the front glass off to clean behind it. He said he heard a crack and now if i look at it at the top of the screen there is a small crack, (about half an inch) I can't feel it from the outside, or from the inside of the screen. ( I took it off to see if maybe just a wire was loss?) But I can't feel the crack from either side, there is also even a smaller one more towards the bottom. I have seen some screens with huge cracks in it and it work fine? so i don't think those are the problem? The LCD screen looks fine, other then where there are some white spots towards the top. Do you think I just need to buy a new LCD screen? Or do I need a new digitizer? The ribbon on that looks fine?

(I somehow got the music player to pop up, (just the last track, play, new track symbols and the line with the circle) but if i pushed fairly hard on the left side of the screen, the circle would move to the right about the same distance I moved my finger to the left?

Please Register or Log in to view images

I just found out that the top volume bottom on the side is stuck in. I can click the down one, but the top is already in?
  2. iLucky

iLucky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I personally would get a new one that would irratate me alot.
  3. seneye

seneye New Member

I got it for free. Its obviously not working, I much rather buy a 50 dollar part then buy a 200 dollar new ipod. Its not worth it to me.
  4. iLucky

iLucky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh didnt realize you were buying part or whatever. I would get the part unless it doesnt bother you
  5. seneye

seneye New Member

Im not sure what part I need. I can't slide to unlock, or really I can't touch anywhere, so does that mean I need a new digitizer?

If I take the glass off, should I be able to slide it if my finger is directly on the LCD screen?
  6. Fieryfear

Fieryfear New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No, LCD screen is used only for displaying things.
    Therefore if you can see everything well on lcd you dont need to replace it.
    if you can't slide to unlock, then you need new digitizer and it should work
    and if something wrong with volume buttons - you need to take it to service as it is pretty hard to take apart everything to get to volume buttons and you can kill something inside it.
  7. reojohn285

reojohn285 New Member

If you have not unlocked the slide then you will buy new digitizer. So You would easily use it. I was saw that no one can give original LCD and It stability was not high. If You will get service on your Ipodtouch. It should be also better way for it.
  8. StueyK

StueyK New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    if you definitely cant feel the crack on the screen, get somebody elses opinion before purchasing a new lcd. Make sure that person agrees with you, or take it to the genius bar or something. The stuck down music button you can easily puch back into place when you take the cover off to swap the lcd. My dad fixes all this stuff so i know quite a bit about it